Welcome back party

Hi all,

I am so happy to see that more and more people find this story. I would love to hear your thoughts on the storyline, the characters, or anything. It really keeps me motivated! :) R.

______________

Friday, November 12, 2021

Today was one of the worse days I had since I moved back to NYC. The meetings regarding the new LGBTQ+ shelter didn't go as planned and it seems that the preparations need to be extended by a whole month. After that meeting, a quick storm caught me and I got soaked to the bones. Due to the storm, traffic was even crazier and I didn't get to the dry cleaner on time. That also meant that I don't have enough clean suits for the next week so I need to find time on Monday to go and pick them up even though my schedule is crazy full. This, or I need to ask my PA or someone else at the company, which I truly hated. I didn't like to give them tasks that were more related to my personal life and not the business. Kristen always made fun of me for that as she believes this is exactly what I was paying for, but it doesn't matter. I didn't want to become a celebrity who can't even pick up her own stuff.

When I got home, I felt crazy tired and, for the first time since we reconnected, I decided to cancel my plans with Cari. She was organizing a small get-together with the friend group today at her place. Even though I wasn't that excited about the upcoming awkward conversations once again, I wanted to go because this was the first time that Fletcher actually invited me over to her house. I really wanted to see her but my mood is definitely not party-friendly. I quickly sent Cari a message before I felt that my eyes were shutting down.

I suddenly woke up hearing my phone. I picked it up without looking at the screen.

"Avery Parker, you can't cancel the night 2,5 hours before the start." I heard Cari's pouting voice over the phone. I moved around until I was laying on the couch more comfortably while the phone was right next to my head. This way I could actually pretend that Fletcher was there right next to me. I would have given everything for that at the moment.

"I can't, Car. I had a horrible day and I really don't feel like being around people." I sighed.

"Avery, please. It's only a few of us. We will drink, listen to music, and maybe watch a movie. You haven't joined any of the other group meetings since Halloween." I heard Cari's pleading voice. I can never say no to this voice.

"Can't we meet tomorrow instead?" I asked. "There is a fairly new Italian restaurant a few blocks away that I wanted to try out for a while. Nora says it's really worth it..."

"Can't we do both?" Fletcher asked. "Alex was really hoping to see you today."

I started to massage my temple. I knew that I needed to reach out and mend things with Alex as well but I really didn't feel like doing it tonight. Everything I did today went to shit.

"Actually, the girls also really wanted to see you."

"Who will be there today?" I asked with a sigh.

"Alex, Sarah, Larissa, Kate, Jenna, you and me."

I was about to ask her more questions when she suddenly requested a video call. I accepted it and the view made me smile immediately. Fletcher was sitting on her couch, her hair was in a messy bun and she had no make-up on. Her shoulders were almost totally out which indicated that she wasn't wearing a bra. This was always my favorite side of her when she was just cozy at home. This look reminded me of all the times we decided to have a day away from life. We always cuddled up on the couch, put on a movie, and ordered food on days like today. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option now.