Friendsmas

December 11th, Saturday

"Okay, what else do you think we need?" I looked around the apartment, searching for any overlooked details.

"Hey, relax, everything's perfect," Car's arms enveloped me from behind as she rested her chin on my shoulder. I leaned into her embrace. "I think most of them haven't seen a party this extravagant before."

"Is it too much? I don't want anyone feeling out of place," I replied, turning to look at her with a touch of worry.

"Not too much at all, babe. It's perfect, and it's exactly the kind of thing they'd expect from you," she grinned, her lips finding mine for a quick, soft kiss.

"Okay," I nodded, then pondered for a moment. "What do you mean by 'the kind of thing they'd expect from me'?"

Before she could answer, the elevator signaled another guest arriving. I had given Jack, the doorman, a list so he wouldn't need to announce every guests tonight. He could just let them up after verifying their identity.

"Oops, looks like someone's here," Car grinned, stepping away and heading towards the kitchen, giving me room to welcome our guests.

But before she could get too far, I pulled her back for a brief but intense kiss that left both of us a bit breathless. Then, with a small smile, I headed towards the elevator.

As the doors slid open, Alex stood there, momentarily surprised before shaking her head and stepping toward me..

"If you're trying to keep it a secret a while longer, you might want to wipe off Cari's lipstick before welcoming guests," she teased, hugging me warmly. "Hi Avery, thanks for hosting Friendsmas this year."

Stepping back, I brushed my fingers against my lips, my cheeks reddening as I laughed softly. "Hi Alex, thanks for the heads up," I replied and cleared my throat to hide my embarrassment of being caught . "And it's absolutely my pleasure. It was sort of my turn to take the reins. Go ahead in, Cari's in the kitchen," I gestured inside as the elevator chimed again, hinting at the next arriva the arrival of the next guests. Thank God, Alex had arrived first.

As the next hour unfolded, the apartment filled with chatter as the guests made their appearances. Everyone was impeccably dressed, even though we'd said the vibe was casual. It was clear they understood me pretty well. Conversations flowed across all three levels; some were hanging out on the terrace, though the chilly weather forced them back inside soon. Others gathered around the TV in one of the living rooms, while a few got competitive over a game of billiards. Except for my bedroom and office, every inch of space was open for everyone.

With 15 of us, seating everyone at an 8-person table required some adjustments. Fortunately, there was room to expand, so I was able to squeeze all of us around it with an extension. Cooking for this crew would've been a marathon, so I ordered in from a favorite local spot and hired a couple of helping hands to serve tonight. Okay, Fletcher might have been right, it is a tad extravagant, but I was determined to make sure everyone had a fantastic time.

"Everything going alright?" Car's voice snapped me back to reality, and I turned to face her. She handed me a glass of white wine. I took a subtle whiff and let a soft smile curve my lips—it was Meursault 1er Cru Perrières, my personal favorite. Fletcher must've been paying attention.

"Thanks," I took a sip and it was indeed that wine. "Yeah, things seems to be going fine. How's the evening unfolding from your end?"

"Perfect," she rolled her eyes, playfully acknowledging my concerns. "People are having a blast, and we haven't even sat down to eat yet. Seriously, you've nailed it. They're going to want to do this at your place every time."