Kristen and Jealousy

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

"Okay, Kristen, is there anything else that you need my help with?" I asked while leaning back in my leather chair. I glanced toward the big clock on the wall which indicated that Cari was supposed to be here at any second.

"Yes, I actually have one more thing." Kristen nodded and leaned closer to the camera. "What are you hiding from me?"

"Me? Nothing." I said out of habit. As much as I loved Kristen, I really don't think it is the right time to let her know about my developing friendship with Cari Fletcher. I just know that she would give me a long lecture about all the reasons this is not a good idea. She was there along the way from the very beginning and had her own opinion on my relationship with Cari.

"Avery Parker, I swear to god if you don't..."She started when I heard knocking on my door. I quickly pushed the mute button and turned towards the door.

"Come in," I said out loud and Cari slowly opened the door to look inside.

"I am sorry for bothering you. The girls outside said that I should just come in. They said that you were waiting for me but most likely lost track of time." Cari explained. She was wearing black pants, a dark blue form-fitting crop top, and a leather jacket while her curly hair was delicately arranged on one side of her face. What a beauty.

"I just got an unexpected call. I am almost done and we can go. Are you up for a coffee? Our in-house barista could make you the most delicious dairy-free specialty..." I offered and reached for the phone to connect with Michelle, our receptionist, to arrange the coffee.

"Well, I guess that answers my question. I shouldn't even be surprised, I was even expecting it..." I heard a voice before I even pushed the button and I froze. I quickly glanced at the camera and I could see Kristen sitting in her chair with her arms crossed over her chest. She didn't seem angry, if anything, it was amusement on her face. "You know, just because you turn off the camera, I can still hear Cari Fletcher in the background, you idiot."

Fuuuck. I clicked on the wrong button. Kristen heard everything.

"Uh, Kristen, let's talk tonight, okay?" I said quickly before she says something that will ruin my friendship with Cari.

"I will be waiting for your call. Don't be stupid. Bye." She said and disconnected the call. I slowly let out a shaky breath.

"Sorry, Kristen needed my advice concerning an upcoming business deal for Potluck. It took a bit longer than I expected it. I didn't mean to be late." I stood up and gave Fletcher a quick hug which she reciprocated. I froze for a second, her smell... she was wearing one of her old perfumes that was definitely my favorite one back then. I thought she didn't use it anymore. Is it a coincidence?

"Kristen did not seem happy about the fact that you were meeting me." Fletcher said after I stepped back to pack my bag. Of course, she put it together.

"Kristen is overprotective as always." I shrugged. "Do we have enough time to show you around the office?"

"You promised me a special coffee from the in-house barista." She smiled and I nodded in agreement.

"Let's do it then."

***

After getting our coffees and showing her the "Co-working" space I am sponsoring for the start-ups, we drove over to our original plan. During one of our meetings, we were discussing hobbies and I told her that I like to paint from time to time which she seemed super excited about. Even though I stated that I am definitely not good at it, Fletcher still wanted to see it. As a compromise, we agreed that she has to come with me to do it. This is how we ended up booking a 2 hours painting class at The Paint Place, NYC's number one art studio.