Share your success

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

5.24 p.m.

Any special requests? Avery.

I sent Fletcher a quick message while already standing in the line waiting for my turn. During our eventful conversation last Thursday we have agreed to do weekly meetups only with the two of us as a way to rebuild our friendship. The idea was that this way we can catch each other up about our last six years and at the same time we can get to know each other again. As we both finished the day earlier today, we agreed to meet up at a newly opened coffee show in Brooklyn. This was already a big change from the past. We rarely left Manhattan, if we did, it was definitely not for Brooklyn and not because one of us have heard that they will sell gluten-free cookies.

5.26 p.m.

No. Stop wherever you are. It is my treat today. Give me 2 minutes. Cari.

A huge smile immediately spread over my face but I didn't get out of the line. Cari Fletcher needs to be faster if she wants to be the one buying. I was unsure for a second what to order for her as I remembered her mentioning that she does not drink coffee after 5 p.m. In the end, I ordered a homemade kombucha and a wild berry tea for us with 2 gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. I was about to pay when suddenly someone slapped my hand away and paid instead of me.

I was about to complain when I finally saw the ginger curls appear in my sight. I had to roll my eyes, she definitely run here to be able to pay. After getting back her change, she finally turned towards me with a big, proud smile.

"Hi Car." I smiled at her, I couldn't stay annoyed for too long.

"Hi there," She smiled at me and put her hand into the pocket of her coat. She was wearing ripped jeans, a hoodie, and a puffy, light coat. She looked adorable. Adorable and awkward.

"Can I give you a hug?" I asked why I spread my arms invitingly. I knew she was awkward because she also didn't know how to greet me, even though we hugged the last time.

Fletcher didn't say anything, she just stepped into my arms for a quick hug. She still smelled amazing, just like I remembered.

"AVERY" I heard my name from the barista and I reluctantly let Cari go. We picked up our orders and found a table with two comfortable-looking chairs.

"You really didn't have to pay, but thank you very much," I said after we took off our coats and sat down. I had to just look at her for a second. The white hoodie with the ginger, wave hair was just serving another level of gorgeousness. She was absolutely the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

"And I told you that it is my treat today. You have been paying for Alexis's and my coffee. This was the least I could do." Cari rolled her eyes and pulled both of the drinks in front of her. "Which one is mine?"

"You choose. You said you don't want to drink coffee around this time. I like both and this gives you an option."

"Thank you." She grinned and picked the kombucha up. "I am pretty into it lately." I didn't mention that I knew even though I saw her Insta live a few days ago where she was drinking one.

"The cookies are gluten-free as promised," I added and Fletcher immediately picked one up.

After that, we got into a conversation about our days. Cari mentioned that she was working on her first album and she was hoping to have it out in 2022 but can't say more about it for now. I have talked about the place I was renting for the last few months and how I was turning it into a co-working place for start-ups I am investing in already. She seemed very interested in whatever I was saying which made me feel so happy. Cari was always supportive but this was another level. She wasn't only listening but asking questions about every little detail.