You raclette my world

November 17th, Wednesday

"Hi Alex" I greeted her when I found her in the agreed coffee shop three minutes before 6.pm. Since Fletcher's part, we have exchanged a few messages and decided on this place out of convenience for both of us. She worked a few blocks away while I had a meeting in the neighborhood. 

"Hi, Avery." Alex got up and gave me a quick hug. "I hope it's okay that I got one for you as well. Cari said this is your usual."  She offered me one of the cups.

"You really didn't have to, but thank you." I took a sip and it was indeed the way I like it. 

"I have been enjoying free coffee from Hygge for the last month or so. This was the least I could do." She brushed it off and leaned back in her chair, sending me a cheeky smile. "Cari made sure I know your order word by word. She even sent it to me this morning as a reminder..." Alex gave me an expectant look as she turned to face me.I couldn't help it; a broad smile took over my entire face. I was getting weak in the knees at the thought that Cari was anxious about this meeting between me and Alex and wanted to ensure we had the best time possible.

"Where do we even start?"I wondered without addressing her blatant suggestion regarding Fletcher. I hoped that we could change the subject to something less serious. I was not ready to be grilled by Cari's best friend. At least not for another 10 minutes...until it will be inevitable. 

"Well, maybe with the fact that you two kissed last Saturday." Alex stated it so casually that it made me swallow my coffee the wrong way. It took me around half a minute before I was able to stop coughing and start breathing normally again. Alex waited for me to recover before continuing, "You thought she wouldn't tell me immediately?"

"No, just... I did not expect it to be the first thing you want to discuss today..." I murmured as I nervously scratched the back of my neck. Naturally, I knew Cari would tell her; I also told Nora, but besties should not bring this up with the other girl, right? Right? "Yes, Cari gave a kiss on the lips, but nothing else happened.

"Why not?" Alex lifted her right brow. She was not going to change the subject. I suppose we may start the grilling now.

"Because her friendship means more to me than spending one night together." I said with full honesty. "I won't lie and say that I don't hope our friendship develops into something more, but I am not going to push her. We are going to move at her pace, and then we will see where it leads us. I am already grateful for her friendship." As soon as I was done speaking, I took a sizable gulp of coffee to cover up my slight blush.

"You two will drive me crazy." Alex rolled her eyes while shaking her head. "I'm hoping this time it won't end in heartbreak."

"At least she got a good EP out of it, right?" I attempted to joke, but judging from her reaction, it was very lame. "Okay, bad joke." I agreed and I finally got a small chuckle out of Alex. "Although I love talking about Cari, she is not the reason I wanted to get coffee with you. I lost more than Fletch six years ago; I also lost you. I am so sorry that I vanished without providing any sort of explanation. "I told Alex what was really on my mind about our friendship. Even though she was always Cari's friend first, we were really close and hung around a lot even when Fletcher wasn't around.

"I do understand you on some level." She nodded and I could see that she was also trying to recall those days from the past. "You both handled the situation poorly, in my opinion. You were stupid for running away, but the rest is split 50/50. I apologize for not making an effort to connect with you during these years." She gave me an apologetic smile.

"I missed you, Lex." 

"I missed you too, Ave." She said before gently kicking me under the table. "Okay, quit being so emotional; we have six seasons of ten different sports teams to catch up on." She leaned forward excitedly and I immediately felt relieved. She was my old friend, Alex once again.