Story Six

[L] Once in a Childhood

I.

It happened as if my life had flashed in front of me, that's how fast he was gone. My best friend, and the only person I had left was gone. Taken from me like the wind blowing seeds to sprout elsewhere. The place I thought was heaven, where I was at peace was ripped from me but I was being naive like every other child my age would be, but I knew deep down that,

Peace doesn't last forever.

My parents left me at a young age, my mother when I was 4 and my father when I was 9. The cause, death. My mother to a rare disease and my father to a no longer functioning broken heart. I was left alone in our mountain home but I told myself I would be fine.

I went on with my life as if nothing had changed. I tend to the chores, the garden, and my learning by myself. We were a semi reclose family, our home being about a 5 mile walk up the mountain in a heavily wooded area so even if someone came looking they wouldn't find us easily.

The first time I met him I was in the garden when I noticed some plants missing from a patch. I thought it might have been animals but they wouldn't come near the house so it was something else. I blocked out everything but my sense of hearing and smell as I tried to find who or what did this but they gave themselves away by rusling in the berry bushes nearby.

"Who's there," I called out, getting the thieves attention.

"I don't know who you are but stealing is bad and you shouldn't do it," I finished as I neared the bush trying to get a look at the bandit.

"Please stop hiding from me," I said to them. The food bandit was a kid in a black hood and cap.

"I don't hide! And I steal whatever I want for I am the son of the evil LORD GARMADON!!! I will take what I want and see fit," he proclaimed as he jumped up from the bush and looked at me, not a hint of evil in his eyes.

"EW! A girl, get away from me," he said, sprinting backwards, away from me.

"Why did you do it," I asked him.

"Do what," he asked me, his voice still inflated as he tried to intimidate me.

"I'm not mad, I just want to know why you stole the food," I asked him again.

"I don't have to answer to the likes of you, a girl, A PEASANT, bow down to me for I'm Loyd Garmadon, the son of the evil Lord Garmadon. I do as I want and please," he belted out again, trying to avoid my question.

"Okay then, please tell me why the Oh Great and Powerful Lloyd Garmadon, son of the evil Lord Garmdon, in my garden stealing my food," I asked him again, appealing to his ego.

"Why my dear peasant, I was hungry so I took what I wanted even though it wasn't candy but it was still food," he said with a smirk that I was acting in my place.

"Why are you up here sir, it's a 2 mile walk from Darkley Village to the mountain checkpoint then another 5 miles from there to here," I again asked him.

"Well, I.... I... I.. I got lost looking for treasure that's why and now if you excuse me, I will be going back down the mountain," he sputtered out as he began walking away from me, but I caught his cap, stopping him.

"It's about to get dark soon and it's not safe to travel down the mountain when it's dark. Stay here the night then you can go in the morning," I told him, but he looked at me and scoffed.

"I don't need your worry, I'm the,"

"Great and Powerful Lloyd Garmadon, but I'm telling you the truth. The animals may not attack you but you will hurt yourself due to sight limitations, just one night then you may go in the morning," I said, no, pleaded with him.