Story Seven

[L] Running Running 

⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️

Assault

Chapter 1

<POV Who?>

Running.

Helen loved running, it was her escape from everything.

She loved running in the early morning, just before the sunrise, just before the sleep city woke. Everyone thought the city never slept, but Helen had seen it with her own eyes. And it was a truth that her and herself alone knew. Well that was till someone joined her on these runs, that is.

It was a few months into her morning ritual when she noticed him. He'd run at the same pace she did with several meters between them, her guess was in hopes she wouldn't notice him. But she did, it creeped her out at first but slowly his presence grew to have a calming effect on her.

Three weeks after he joined her she let him know she knew of him. It was towards the end of her run, where she would slow down to a walk so she could drink her water. But this time she brought two bottles and tossed the other on to him.

"Catch," she called to him as she tossed the bottle to him.

His reflexes were fast as he caught the flying bottle in his hands, only to send her a shocked but confusing look.

She chuckled at his expression, "Don't go around thinking you're the Ninja or anything. I could hear you, heard you loud and clear," she said to him as she turned to walk the rest of her route.

The following mornings he would slowly close the gap between them, then he eventually started to over take her. He started leading the runs, taking them on longer and harder runs but always ending where she would. If anyone watched this they would turn their heads at it but to the ones that looked closely they would see that even though these two people had never really met each other there was a blooming respect between the two of them.

In the end, this is what Helen got up for in the mornings.

Even when school started again she would run with him, it was a funny fight over who would lead each day but in the end if she wanted to lead he would let her. This was her stress relief and she knew it was his too.

"Oh Helen, there you are. How was your run this morning, where did this mystery, and not at all creepy man, take you today," her mother mused as she came through the door, shivering at the clear change in temperature.

"The forest, he took me through a very scenic route in the forest," she said to her mother as she took one last sip from her water bottle.

Her mother gave a chuckle, "It almost sounds like he took you on a date with how you phrased that. But I'm glad you had fun. Now, go get ready for school you sweaty child," she finished, throwing a towel at Helen's head.

"Yes Mother," Helen said with sass as she trudged up the stairs to her room to clean the sweat from her limbs.

She was dressed and down stairs in ten minutes, ready to consume the food her mother was making on the stove.

"I'll never understand why you're as fast as you are when taking a shower. It's magic if you ask me," Her mother told her as she passed her a plate with food.

"It's called shorter hair. Having my hair this long is a life saver in many ways," Helen said before stuffing her mouth.

Her mother sighed as she watched her, " I know, but I'm still upset you cut your hair so short. You looked so pretty with long flowy hair. It would blow in the wind and when the sun hit it just right it looked like gold," she hummed out in a morning tone at the lost sight of it all.