Chapter Two: Moonlight and Clouds

Freddy's voice from his Fazwatch broke Gregory from his frozen state. "Gregory, I do not know what you did, but the lights are out in the Daycare! You need to find the emergency backup generators and turn them on. They're in the adjacent room. One is in the play place."

Gregory gripped his flashlight tight in his hands. That... thing wasn't Moon. At least, the Moon Gregory had come to know. The one Gregory thought he knew.

With a hard breath to steady his fluttering heart, Gregory forged into the darkness. Now, as he walked between the structures and waved his flashlight over hard plastic and soft toys and floor, the dream he once traversed plunged into a nightmare.

A memory of Sun opening the cabinet by the fridge sparked in his mind. Something whirred from within, and he swore he had seen a green light. As it would make no sense for the generators to be in the play place, he ran there.

"Bad children must be punished~!"

A shiver ran down his spine at the sheer cold sadism in the bot's voice. Gregory's flashlight glinted off something semi-smooth and plastic. Moon, its eyes dark without their lights, stalked from the other side of the room on its tip-toes, arms up and splayed and the bells on its wrists and feet unfairly making no sound at all.

Gregory squeaked and darted in the opposite direction. He knew running straight for the place where he presumed the generator stayed would give away his intentions and at least some scarce knowledge. However, he also knew Moon knew that was the only way for him to escape.

...wait. The doors! Could he escape through the doors? The curly slide was too high up for him to crawl through. But even if the doors were locked by a security pass, Gregory had one!

Gregory ran around the play place, shooting a quick look back to see Moon had not changed in speed.

It knew Gregory was trapped, didn't it?

If Moon wasn't out to kill him, it just wanted to chase him.

Gregory stopped by the cabinet next to the fridge. He waved his security badge in front of the cabinet. Panic writhed inside of him as the gesture didn't immediately work. However, once he scored his card over the right spot, the door opened with a quiet click. Gregory opened it to find a generator at the bottom. The thing was nearly as big as him!

The boy took the handle and yanked it down. The dimly glowing red light now glowed green with a brilliant fervor and growled to life.

Gregory puffed out a laugh. Easy. Now, the others were in the room adjacent? Freddy had to be talking about the Naptime Room. After all, Gregory could faintly recall there being a room attached to that. Employees Only?

Ting-ting!

"Bad children must be found."

Gregory bristled and looked around. The voice was so close, but he wasn't there?

Click, click, whrrrrr, click...

Gregory looked up. Barely a foot from his face, head now completely upside down and his feet and fingers hooked into the play structure, clung Moon.

Gregory screamed and ran. Usually, he'd attempt to use whatever object he had available as a club to defend himself. However, a bot probably couldn't get a bloody nose. Besides, if that thing really was, by any stretch of the word, Moon...

Gregory barely stopped himself fast enough to keep from running face-first into the door to Moon's domain.

The security badge would not work.

Confused, Gregory tried a second and third time.

"Naughty boy..."

He didn't look back. The voice wasn't that close, thankfully, but it was still closer than he liked.