Chapter Three: Escape?

Freddy and Gregory stepped into a baby blue elevator. Its double doors shut slowly behind them, and the elevator whirred. Checkerboard wallpaper wrapped around the bottom of the elevator while the corners were painted with stripes, and four posters of various attractions hung on the walls. Above him, Gregory saw the gently shivering stars suspended from the dark ceiling. They really liked the night, didn't they? Or did this change during the day?

"Gregory, I have identified two possible exit points. The main loading dock is located under the food court on the first floor. There is also a fire escape in the third floor Prize Counter, which can be accessed through the East Arcade. Check your Fazwatch. I will mark both locations on your Fazmap."

Gregory looked at his watch. The "MAP" tab stayed black, while the "CAMERA" tab buzzed with static. At the bottom left of the screen was an orange dot. To its right was a half-yellow-half-blue dot. That must be Freddy and Sun and Moon's buttons.

"It appears you have no Fazmap. You should be able to obtain one from the greeter on the center balcony."

A strangely long and slow elevator ride later, the chipper music and elevator stopped. The double doors opened, revealing the first floor above the main atrium. A giant billboard with a map of attractions on it blocked most of his view. The rare amount of light available made the already overly loud and colorful map unrecognizable. He stepped outside onto the main balcony. Where was the gree–

Gregory squealed as a robot–one of the S.T.A.F.F. bots but with a fanny pack of folded maps–grabbed him and whipped him around so they stood straight in front of each other. The robot released him and held out a map. "Hi! Please take this map." The bot's voice was slightly masculine, but otherwise just as monotone as an auto reader on a computer.

Gregory stared at the bot and then the pamphlet in the bot's grip.

"Take a map," Map bot repeated.

Gregory snatched the map from the bot.

It straightened itself out and backed up so it no longer stood in front of the elevators. "Thank you. Please enjoy." It stared, swiveling its head, waiting for new victims to appear.

Gregory checked the map and unfolded the pamphlet. As... helpful as the sparkly, colorful map was, he really would have liked something digital, something like a map on his Fazwatch. At the bottom corner of one of the inner pages stamped a QR code with a top hat and bear ears above it. Gregory tipped his wrist so that the face of his Fazwatch faced the QR code. His Fazwatch beeped. When Gregory checked it, not only did a map appear but so too did the camera systems. Neat. He glanced at Map bot and tossed the map back at it. The bot didn't react to the map now lying on the floor by its wheels.

The boy checked up and down the main balcony, which stretched around like a second floor that didn't quite touch the other end of the atrium. A glass wall about his head height made a barrier around the entire floor so he couldn't accidentally fall. When he checked up and down the floor, they were empty. A lone security bot moved amongst the pillars and fake, potted palm trees. Nothing moved up and down the stairs that jutted out over the main atrium to connect to the floor above.

Gregory made his way over the purple and confetti carpet emblazoned with a multitude of symbols from Freddy and Friends. Third floor, huh? He looked up. Way up on the third floor edging the right side of the room stood a sign to El Chipz as well as a neon Monty face.

He sent another look up and down the walkway before scurrying to the first set of deactivated escalators. He couldn't help a shiver as he moved. Thankfully, the escalators stayed off. But all those times he got close to the top and had to hop over it for fear of tearing his shoes only amplified now that the only things protecting his feet were socks.