Chapter Twelve: Flash

When Gregory entered the elevator to the arcade, Freddy stopped. He said, "I must stay here. I wish I could join you, but after tonight's stage incident, I am not allowed to perform. When I step onto the West Arcade dance floor, I cannot stop myself. It is a programming bug."

Gregory sighed and pressed the elevator button. "Okay." It whirred as it went down.

Freddy continued through Gregory's Fazwatch, "Head to the security office in the utility hallway. You will find another security pass there." His voice brightened. "If you see the DJ, say 'Hello.' He is such a nice fellow."

The first thing Gregory noticed upon stepping out was the giant golden statue of Freddy and Friends, Freddy standing on top of giant speakers.

Neon lights and arcade screens threw multicolored light across the floor, walls, and arcade cabinets. The shiny, dark dance floor ate the light that glowed over it.

Gregory stepped out onto a futuristic hallway. To his left was an arcade. To his right was a dancefloor. A giant, tear-shaped robot lay on the stage. Six limbs ending in hands attached to its huge body. His squarish head lay on two of his hands, his black circle eyes staring into nothingness as he "slept." A massive set of headphones sat on his head. As Gregory approached, he saw its huge row of teeth modeled after a keyboard.

Pinks and blues colored his otherwise white face and red and gold headphones sat atop his head. His were black and white like keyboard keys, but the inside of his mouth varied in color, changing like light shimmering off a dark pool with antifreeze. So, this was DJ Music Man. Man, he made the little things in the vents look like actual bugs!

Beside the robotic DJ was a platform with a metal safety railing interrupted by a short set of stairs. A breaker switch clung to the wall. He stepped back and walked to the arcade, where a set of spiral stairs led him up to a landing with arcade cabinets and then another set of stairs leading to more arcade cabinets set up to make a winding pathway. Behind him was a round platform with dining tables and chairs sectioned off with faux walls. However, he didn't need those. Probably. Instead, he walked to the other end past all the arcade cabinets and a few rooms dominated by a single color with a mic near the end.

He stopped upon hearing a voice and hid behind the arcade cabinet.

A familiar feminine voice puffed, "Look, I don't know where it is!"

...

Officer Vanessa let out a quiet growl. However, she sounded more exasperated than irritated. "Do you know how many arcade games there are?"

Gregory stared at his feet. Was she... talking to someone? Oh no. Was Monty here? Roxy?

...Vanny?

Gregory shut his eyes. Come on, stop being a wimp! You're faster than her. You're the one with the Fazerblaster. You escaped them both once. You can do it again. Besides, Vanny had that weird ability to mess with his senses. That wasn't happening right now, so he was good.

Gregory got up and walked around the arcade cabinets. He just caught Officer Vanessa walking through a door at the end of the hall.

Once he got to the last door past some games with chairs and a door that was out of order, he escaped the lights and colors and emerged into a poorly lit brick-walled hall. A metal security door cut into the bricks on the left with a long, small window beside it looking into the hallway.

She rounded a corner.

He followed on his tip-toes, head down and eyes on her.

"I'll find it eventually."