Chapter Seven: Upgrade

Gregory left the weird endoskeleton maze behind and approached the entrance to Parts and Services. He passed by a forklift and tripped over the prongs on the ground. The flashlight and toy hit the ground as he lost his balance and landed on the hard cement. Gregory growled and pulled himself to his feet and regathered his things. He gasped upon seeing his toy.

The right part of Moon's face, the darker one with the red eye, tore. Bits of stuffing swelled from the gash across its face. A few fibers of the stuff tangled in a nail on the ground. Gregory frowned. Well, this wasn't his toy, technically. He already had a Moon toy. He was just borrowing this one.

He managed to stash away the toy. This time, the double doors opened when Gregory commanded them to. "Freddy, are you in there?"

Gregory approached the window first, quiet with his flashlight off.

Officer Vanessa stood in front of the now open cylinder. Freddy lay in the chair. Something... felt off, but Gregory couldn't see what it was.

Gregory muttered, "I've got to get him out of there."

"...I found him earlier and kept him in Lost and Found." Officer Vanessa's voice barely reached Gregory through the glass windows and metal doors.

Freddy announced cheerfully, "That is great news. He can be returned to his parents."

The security guard stated, "He can't. Turns out, there's no record of him."

"How unfortunate. If you reattach my head, I will go look for him now," he offered.

Reattach his head?!

Officer Vanessa went on as if he hadn't spoken, her voice as dry as ever. "His name is Gregory. You know how I know that? His Fazwatch kept repeating it... in your voice. 'Gregory? Are you there? Gregory?'"

Gregory bristled at her poor impersonation of Freddy. She could at least try!

Freddy countered, "Vanessa, all the Fazwatches sound like me. It is the default voice option."

Officer Vanessa didn't answer for a long moment. Finally, she said, "If you're part of this, you're scrap. Monty will run the shows until Parts and Service can slap your casing on a new Endo. Hang out here for a while. I gotta find that kid." With that, she walked away from the cylinder and to one of the stairs that wrapped around the side of the cylinder. The cylinder door closed once she backed out of it. Light glared over the stairs and walls as she moved and swept the flashlight over her surroundings.

Freddy called after her, "Vanessa, do not leave me like this!"

A few doors lined the walls above the stairs. She took the second one with a purple door and hall.

Gregory waited until it got quiet to push his way through the second set of red metal double doors.

"Gregory!" Freddy called. "I am so glad you are here and alive!"

Gregory ran up to the now-closed cylinder and looked through the window. He couldn't see much beyond Freddy's feet and, beyond that, his hands at his sides and his bottom jaw. "Freddy!"

"Gregory! Use the console to let me out."

The boy walked around to the computer. Its screen glowed a very dark green. "Select Upgrade" in digital, light green letters stamped across the top. Under it was a list with slightly smaller printed words. "Power Upgrade" was in the same light green with a lighter green box surrounding it and an arrow by its side. "Claws Upgrade" "Voicebox Upgrade" and "Eyes Upgrade", all in off-white text, listed below with "Exit" in lime text.