Chapter Thirteen: Peek-a-Boo

Gregory leaned against the wall of the elevator to catch his breath and let his fluttering heart calm. Okay. So, he got what he wanted. He got his new security badge. He found Officer Vanessa. It was time to go back to the Daycare.

Freddy... wait. Where was Freddy? Huh. Eh, guess they'll meet up at the Daycare.

"Hey, kid!" Monty's voice erupted from further down the walkway.

Roxy growled to herself just loud enough for Gregory to hear, "You will find him!"

Gregory bristled and looked around. So, both of the animatronics now blocked his exit. But that was fine. He would just need to wait. They would clear out on their own. Oh, but he didn't have time! It would get dark, and Gregory would miss his chance to help Sun and Moon!

"There you are!" Roxy yelled, her glowing lavender eyes on him. Monty's head snapped to the side. Gregory couldn't see Monty's eyes behind his star-shaped shades.

Gregory jumped into a food cart stand and shut the shutters.

Footsteps thumped closer.

He tried to press the orange button on his Fazwatch but, as the cart shook when one of the animatronics grabbed it, his finger pressed the wrong button.

A set of purple claws poked out from under the shutter. Light leaked into the otherwise dark space through the tiny gap.

The shutters tore upwards. Monty laughed. "Game over, kid!"

"He's mine!" Roxy snapped and shouldered Monty aside. Her bright lavender eyes trained on the terrified boy. She gasped and stumbled to the side.

"You vain dog!" he snapped. "I'm takin' the little guy."

"He's mine! I found him first! I found him first! I'm better at finding him than you!"

As the two argued, Gregory sent a look at the other pair of shutters across from the ones Monty held. He pushed them open a little and squirmed through.

"No, you don't!"

Gregory squealed as a metal and plastic hand grabbed him by the ankle and yanked him back.

The cart tipped as Gregory held on with all his might. He kicked at the manicured hand that had him by the ankle.

Roxy took a step back and yanked him out of the cart.

Gregory yelped and let go. His elbow struck the cart and his fingers on the other hand scraped an edge.

Roxy's growl wavered. She pulled the dangling boy up a little farther upon seeing the hand he held to his chest with a shaking arm. She blinked her shiny orange eyes. "Blood?"

A pair of footsteps–these not as heavy as the animatronics–rushed up the stairs. Those shoes didn't belong to Vanessa.

"Oh no, no! Look at him!" Sun squealed and darted up to the two. He took Gregory while Roxy was distracted and held him tight to his chest. "He's hurt! You're holding him wrong! You could hurt him even more!"

Roxy shook her head and glared at him with harsh lavender eyes. "He's mine!" she snarled and struck.

Sun bounced back. "Uh-uh-uh! No! You could hurt him! No!"

Monty ran around to block his exit from the stairs. "Hand him over, clown. That kid's not going to the Daycare."

"You'll hurt him!" Sun turned around so he faced Monty and then hopped back again to avoid Roxy's claws.

His heels touched the glass half-wall acting as a safety rail.

Gregory winced and clung to the Daycare Attendant as tightly as he could. He opened one of his eyes. "Aren't they supposed to be afraid of you?"