Chapter Fourteen: Race to the Edge

After quite a walk through the construction zone and the security-locked gate and another ramp, Gregory found a gate with golden chains wrapped around a lock. A sign of Monty with a crossed-out circle overlayed on it sat on the fence. On a ramp right next to it was another fence, this one with a green light at the top corner and a sign of Chica with a crossed-out circle over it in the center of the fence.

Yep. This called for Chica, alright.

Gregory looked at his Fazwatch. He considered calling Freddy but didn't. The little blue and yellow circle was still there between Freddy's orange one and Chica's pink one.

He pressed the pink button.

The ground shuddered at the uneven, quick thump-thump-thumping behind him.

Chica staggered to a stop next to him. "Hello!" she trilled. "Did you find something?"

Gregory nodded. "Mhm. I need to get into Roxy Raceway, but the place is blocked off. Could you help me?"

"Oh, sure!" Chica approached the gate with the green light and a sign telling her specifically to keep out. She made a shrill, static-y noise that caused Gregory to wince. The green light flickered out. The red one glowed. She gently pushed the gate open and looked back. "There! Actually, can I go with you? I want to check on Roxy."

"Sure!" Gregory flashed a smile and walked down the crowded hall.

"Do you think..." Chica's voice trailed off.

"That we'll fix Roxy?" Gregory prompted. "Yeah."

"Um... without breaking her?"

The boy didn't look back at her. "I don't know, Chica. I don't know how else to fix her. She has to be broken to be fixed, right? You and Freddy were broken."

"Freddy was broken?" Chica echoed. "O-oh. Right. He was. He was put through Parts and Services, though. So, he should be feeling better?"

"Mhm!"

The area after the gate was open, with a round and glowing pillar and racing items. Another duffle bag sat on the ground. They had to stop to allow the shutters on their right to open.

As soon as they passed the threshold into pale red and black checkerboard tile, Roxanne's voice said, "Hey. I'm Roxanne Wolf. If you're looking for high-speed motor mayhem, Roxy Raceway is the place to be. Sign up today and be a winner! No one likes a loser."

He stepped further out onto the floor, which dropped off suddenly with a guardrail around it. Various pop-up shops lined the floor. Further out, desert and tall rock pillars rose all across the place. A giant, winding go-kart track with an overpass consumed most of the area. Construction equipment speckled the far side of the place along with the edge of the giant room. A gift shop or information registry or something sat snugly at the corner, sharing a wall with the shutters. A couple of sets of stairs led down on their immediate right, though much farther on their left was another set of stairs.

Chica gasped and whispered, "Behind me, Gregory."

Gregory ran around behind her as she indicated with one arm. Despite desperately wanting to peek out behind her, he managed to keep himself under control. Instead, he looked at his Fazwatch.

Roxy walked up the stairs to the right.

"Roxy!" Chica called and waved. "Roxy, hi!"

Roxy stopped. "Chica? What happened to you?" She crossed the small space of carpet between them in seconds and took her hand.

"I... well, it was... I'm okay," Chica stammered out. She took Roxy's hand. "Really, I'm going to be okay. I just... need a little work done!" She giggled to herself. "Oh, um... speaking of... better... I wanted to talk about G... the kid."