23. Tacenda

Lavender oil infused earthen lamps dimly lit the empyrean chambers, caliginous shadows dancing with the flickers. Soothing zephyrs swished the wine hued curtains as lunar incandescence descended through the balcony, deluging the vista in hues of silver. Multiple swathes of roses embossed the walls, the elysian aroma of jasmines enveloping the air along with delicious scents and love potions. The livid ether was dressed in a flawless garb of a million stars and the moon did not fail to comfort her like it did almost everyday, when she clung to the railing as the ocean called to her.

It crawled in her insides and nibbled at her. Slowly but surely. Her stomach did a somersault and she shrank in herself then, reminiscing the steady breathing lessons taught to her by a healer.

In and out. Slowly. Yes my sweet one, you're doing good.

Scars. Scars of the heart mocked her, and that of the body made her proud. They ran in faint streaks and memories of her subconscious and she was a warrior dripping scarlett from every pore of hers, for to the ones who dance to the tunes of death in the battlefield the healed wounds are prizes. She was a woman of melancholy and grace. The maiden who never aged. She spoke boldly in the court and at everything that wronged her. She accumulated ocherous parchments and peacock feather quills and glass ink pots and disappeared into the voids of the royal villa as soon as the sun set. She was an unspoken malediction they had their eyes trained on and the blood moon that wept in solitude. She nursed appetence for a man whom the world revered and curst. Because he was the only one who could hold her just not because no wrinkles shall come upon the eternal youth cast upon her by the heavens.

Kamalnayani was draped in a cozy and diaphanous robe, her raven hued hair left loose as she awaited her husband on the fourth night of their amalgamation which was to be celebrated as the Nishekam, or the ritual of making love to your spouse out of duty. Blushing a deep shade of crimson, she caved in to the rising heartbeats that resonated within her.

“Govinda, I am not so sure how much Krishu adheres to certain traditions and rituals. Besides, this . . . ” Draupadi's concerned voice found her ears, making her perk up and the youngest fire-born was made cognizant of her husband's presence by the closed doors. The queen of Shakraprastha then pursed her lips while her best friend appeared very amused, “Of course I trust you, but she's shy and might be edgy with regards to this. She is also rebellious at times. But put faith, she's immensely empathetic and won't do anything to upset you-”

“Yes Sakhi, of course I do. You need not be worried. Both of us put each other in high regards and no matter how odd anything seems, we shall pave a way out.”

“Now Vaasudeva, we know you must be very impatient. She's lovely and you are no less handsome. We hope you two have a blissful time together. We shall take our leave now,” Bhima teased in abundant mirth as the said man's ears turned pink. Kanha whisper-yelled in urgency, facepalming in the same motion, “Manjhle bhaiya! Hush, she will probably get uneasy. This is no compulsion.”

Ahaha lover dearest is getting concerned I see,” Nakula piped in this time, grinning conspiratorially with squinted eyes. “Alright, don't trouble him too much now all of you. My sister must be waiting for him. Go, Kanha,” an enthusiastic Satyabhama shushed everyone as the sound of their footfalls eventually ebbed away. The all too familiar silence reigned yet again and both Kanha and Hridayaa were yet to get over the mushy-ness bubbling in them before meeting each other's eyes.

Krisha realized her heart thudded violently in her ribs. No, this was anything but consternation. She knew he won't hurt her at any cost. But heavens if she were nervous and could hide herself in his arms, away from his gaze if he would allow her to. The lock unlatched slowly, as if the person on the other end was as shy as she felt all so suddenly. Kanha stepped in cautiously, so as to not overwhelm either of them as the aesthetic of their appearances nearly swooned the both of them in the same moment, blood rushing to their cheeks. Who knew forelsket wasn't a one time deal after all. “You are here . . . ” she murmured almost to herself as he averted his face to hide a silly smile and briefly inclined his head to the side. “I am, of course. How have you been these days, love? Does Dvaraka seem good?”