65. Queen In Quandary

"Why yes, Sakhi. Confounded, are we? I must say, it's easy to wangle you emotionally." The duplicitous chaperone grinned, and suddenly every pore of hers screamed malice. Or did it always do so, and her mistress was rendered blind by faith and love? Kamalnayani grimaced, almost huffing out a breath before gravely shaking her head in a futile attempt to clear it. Tears stung her lotus eyes at the memories, at every step she had had her dearest accomplice support her with an equally reciprocated affection...and this is what it had all added on to. Betrayal.

"Why would you do that, Chandrika?" She mouthed in a windy whisper, her fingers still clasped in her mother's hold which she pressed in assurance.

"Because you were a soft target of both Dvaravati and Saurashtra, and I care for wealth more than the warmth you seem to offer me.
So smart and brave, and yet so naive. A truly lovely paradox you are, Kumari." Chandrika gibed, sliding her necklace away to reveal her neck that was frazzled and a flash came upon Kamalnayani.

Kamalnayani brushed off her tears, nodding vehemently. This would only grow worse if she'd be doltish enough to lament so, “Did any of you two, take a prolonged gander upon the crook to catch any of their extraordinary traits? It can be anything . . . the style of donning the robes or for that matter any specific guard.” Kritavarma strained his wits, “An alligator . . . an alligator upon the nape, Sakhi.”

Krishu, you want to tell me something?” Draupadi surreptitiously angled her point finger at a minister stationed at a far distance from the incessant corridor, looking glum and calculating. Dragging her focus from the burns on Chandrika's neck which she was treating, Kamalnayani followed Draupadi's eyes as a look of realization crossed her ever radiant features, ones which weren't curtained enough for her sister to be unmindful.

A distant pain in the sternum made itself known slowly but surely and she winced. Kamalnayani returned to her knees, gently tucking Kokila's stray hair away from her olive visage as the latter's eyes fluttered uneasily under the influence of the drug, "Sleep well, Maa." Hridayaa's other hand reached for her mother's temple as a blinding eye emerged from her lotus palm and then died down carrying DrupadaPatni's consciousness with it, "You shall continue to sit as the Rajamata of VishnuPuri, such is the oath of the Agnijaa."

"Shallow promises are as they are, Maharani Kamalnayani . . . shallow." Shakuni cackled, wobbling in his steps as he was met with a pair of fierce eyes that bore holes at every spot they fell on.

Kamalnayani looked over her shoulder, her jaw muscles taut as the ferocity burning in her fashioned out a sword which perfectly sat between her grip, daring him to pronounce another word. "Gandhara-raja is impeccable in his conviction, Sundari. Why don't you get a load of us and then decide yours as well as your family's fate for yourself?" Vikral interjected in mock, feigning a look of positive zest. "You step off the throne and we release your darl-"

"Not happening, Vikral," the queen snapped, squinting her eyes at the trio of Karna, Duryodhana and Dushasana then. "And this- this is what you had to resort to, huh?" Her blade danced pointing towards the Anupanaresha, ridiculing him as something akin to mirth flashed on her features. "A jester? I thought better of you, but it looks like we really have a quandary there."

"Quandary is where you have stepped in, Krishnahridayaa," sneered Vikral, the scar that ran through his eyebrows and barely missed his eyes twitching in sheer vexation, "Hand the reins of your state to us and walk out alive and well, or you fight me. And, do keep in mind that I am invincible through the boon of the creator bestowed upon me. Don't be foolish, I am sparing you this last time."

"Your subjects are shifted to the citadels and shall stay safe until your audacity compels us otherwise; if that's what you are wondering Kamalnayani." Karna eyed her nonchalantly, then throwing his hands up in the air when she threw his way a lambasting glare. "We just want you gone from our path against the Pandavas, I do not bear any personal animosity directed towards you. We've been great friends for a long stretch of time, and would have continued if you knew the rudimentary etiquettes of behaving like a woman."