42. A Week At Saurashtra

"WHERE DID MY RASGULLAS GO?"

Kanha looked up from the bowl now only bearing a couple of spoonfuls of sugar syrup with his cheeks still puffed as all the pairs of eyes on the dining table went as wide as 10 rupee coins, eyebrows lost in the hairline. Before them was Rukmini, whose nose and ears, as Chittachora could practically see, were emitting smokes while her milky fair complexion allowed the glowing red to show up on her apple cheeks. With clenched fists and stomping gaits, Rukmini was now shooting daggers directly at him while his second wife was pursing her full lips to keep a giggle at bay. Kanha gulped the hodgepodge of a rasgulla which stilled in his mouth, the wrath of Rukmi's sister was to be feared! Who was he to underestimate his Shakti's shakti?

"Oh no," whispered Jambavati, his olive-eyed love, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Oh no," came Kalindi, her hands flying to cup her cheeks as her visage displayed a fake worried look. She grinned cheekily with a look which said, 'you deliberately jumped off the cliff' at him when he threw her a pleading look.

"Oh no no no no no," Satyabhama sang casually, her shoulders moving rhythmically as her gaze remained unmoved from the coconut laddoos Kamalnayani had prepared along with Bhadra. The said woman, who was still incognizant of this side of her sweet Rukku Jiji, whisked her gaze to Lakshmanaa who was smiling from ear to ear.

"You have seen sweet Swarnabha, now get ready for violent Vaidarbhi, dearest Dhruvi." She chuckled as Rukmini's hands magically conjured up a bamboo stick, Kamalnayani's heart only racing at the possibility as Kanha toppled the brass bowl on the wooden furniture before wasting not a second more to sprint away.

"KANHAAAAAA! HOW DARE YOU?" Kanha's first wife shrieked, as the two began to circumnavigate the assembled family members sitting to have breakfast.

"I refuse to believe it's Rukku Jiji," Kamalnayani mumbled, breaking into laughs as Kanha dodged a blow or two by jumping literally as her analogy worked, like a hare as his crown went somewhere and peetamber flew the other way. And now, the entire table was rolling on the floor, left in stitches.

"You know, sometimes, it's okay to turn into a child." Jambavati giggled, looking intently at the youngest co-wife whose smile receded for a split second before a wide grin broke on her lips.

Rukmini taught her that it was alright, if she wanted to have fun someday, and it was fine to fight for the smallest of things you adore. Even if it were just rasgullas. Kamalnayani shook her head and made a mental note. No, rasgullas weren't mere. They had to be prioritised.

The crescent crown of the bluish caelum was picturesque for her vibrant musings, inner monologues, fake scenarios and soliloquies - ranging from the sky to the finest depths of Vasundhara

The crescent crown of the bluish caelum was picturesque for her vibrant musings, inner monologues, fake scenarios and soliloquies - ranging from the sky to the finest depths of Vasundhara. Saurashtra was being blessed with sereins, marking the advent of the lovely monsoons every agricultural state would look forward too. She had never loved monsoons to be honest, but sereins were always her type. Light rain showers which would melt into her flesh, and the sweaty summers would be finally gone.