8. Of Indraprastha And Dvaraka

T I M E S K I P
five years later.

"It's been quite long. Will she be mad at me, Aarya?" Draupadi nervously fidgeted with the hem of her scarlett upper cloth, glancing at her husbands through her feathery-soft jetblack eyelashes which always seemed to enrapture them. Well, everything about her did. She was such a charmer, just like her best friend from whose name was hers derived.

The Pandavas caught each other in a dreamy mien at once, when PandavaPriyaa swatted their arms with a half scowl, masking her trepidation and mortification at their open fondness which elicited teasing from the Dvarakeshwaris who were found a little distance away, beside their butter thief consort whose lotus eyes lingered at the aperture every now and then in the search of his beloved.

"Don't worry Kalyani, she's understanding and wise. She can distinguish between duties and personal lives." Yudhishthira chuckled, shaking his head from side to side at his wife's agitation at the much awaited reunion with her sister post two gruesome winters.

"Where's Krishu, Bhrata?" Elder Yagyasaini questioned gleefully, her inquisitive orbs twinkling as Kanishtha Pandava smiled ruefully at the eldest of Drupada's children who seemed to squirm with surfacing bitter memories. Fortunately by the time Dhrishtadyumna advanced to respond, the doorkeeper interrupted their dialogues doused in jitters and zeal.

"Be alert, His Royal Majesty is arriving along with Princess Kamalnayani in the royal court!" And the thump of javelins on the marble tiles in coordination with sardonyx embellishments caused everyone to zero their attention to the parade of the father-daughter duo with a few bodyguards scampering betwixt them.

Drupada wasn't feeble, aged and experienced but certainly not weak. He possessed a herculean physique, mighty arms that hung till his knees and an aura that immediately ensconced authority right away ere every single entity. Pale skin and grey curls adorned him with a very amiable smile, a paternal affection edging his body language. He was a good ruler, Panchala was flourishing under him and the populace was content.

Behind him was a slender woman who wouldn't have seen more than 21 summers, Satrajiti reckoned as the former gradually stepped out of her apprehensive aura with a subtle encouragement of the king who screwed his eyes in assurance to the rising tides of her disquietude. Lotus petal akin expansive eyes first tarried at her beamish elder sister who almost hopped in the saree she was wreathed in. Arched eyebrows like the Gandiva itself were curving perfectly, lips tinted like a crimson sunset quivering in sheer delight as tears threatened to spill down her jasmine tinctured countenance. Apple cheeks beautified themselves with the spring itself, the raven locks set free jumping till her wide hips where sat a simple and gorgeous lehenga. She carried with her an air of enigma.

Terror descended down her throat in the form of a lump, the younger princess bracing herself to push her monsters inside and face the loved ones gathered in here. Shaking her head inconspicuously to bring herself out of a trance, she blinked slowly once before beaming at her siblings who grinned back in relief.

"Exquisite, isn't she?" Smiled Satyabhama, unable to take her eyes off of the maiden as Jambavati threw her a mirthful glance.

"Should I assume you have a new best friend now, Bhamae?"

"No, I mean she has very familiar vibes exuding out of her. She does look fine enough to get along with, so probably yes," the former cheekily admitted, gaining a low-key chuckle from both of her co-wives.

"Pranipat," her melodious voice brought them all out of their trance, arms folded formally so as to greet with a smile so big her cheeks hurt, "To our guests, family, as well as our honourable ministers and colleagues. It is so good to be back here. I hope it is all going well by the grace of Raghava."