3. To The City

Shikhandini was virtually bursting with happiness, Dhrishtadyumna adjusted the cotton angavastram, seemingly miffed as a thrilled Draupadi let her eyes graze all around the surroundings. Beside a chirpy and zealous Kamalnayani, walked Kanha whose crown had been replaced by an elegant and lightly embroidered turban. Satyajita had arrived shortly as he raised a confused eyebrow at Kanha, who passed a fond look to his youngest sister. The market place looked awestruck at their presence and perhaps their movements had slowed, for they were all now gawking at this group of seemingly seraphic beings who were far from ordinary.

The women of the youngsters were in a simple antariya (a dhoti-like piece of fabric which reached a little below the knee), a breast cloth and an uttariya draped around their bosoms. For they were what unmarried women were supposed to wear. Around their slender bodies, hung light weight jewelleries as their hair were left loose till their waists. The men however, were in a dhoti and angavastram, donning turbans on their heads as oxidised ornaments adorned their toned bodies.

Kokila had been reluctant on letting all of her adorable devils -cough cough- her children go together, for they were proving to be damn naughty but Kanha joining them was a relief. She hadn't missed how he gazed at her littlest one and the cool mom was in, shipping them before anyone else could even catch the hint.

"I am loving this so far. This is so good, away from the extravaganza of the palace." Kamalnayani lowly exclaimed, grinning at the market place as her curious eyes gleamed. Bustling with all kinds of people- young and old, men and women, children and grandparents, Panchala's villages were a feast to the eye. Once saddened with the partition of their motherland, Ahichatra taking birth as Mahabali Dronaputra Ashwatthama had been crowned, everyone was now content with the rule of Drupada as things were beginning to morph back to normal. Plus, they had been blessed with a crown prince and two Lakshmis who were born from the altar of the yagya of dharma.

"This is the first human I have been introduced to who prefers simplicity over a rich lifestyle," Satyajita said, looking at his sister from the corner of her eyes with slight mirth.

"Bhrata Satyajit, you should not judge!" Came the instant protest which was shushed up by the rest.

"It's not entirely her fault. We didn't adopt alias names before arriving." Shikhandini shook her head with a sigh.

"It's not late yet, your highness, we can still do that." Kanha smiled. "I am Adhrit."

"Krishnaa." Draupadi grinned.

"Agneya, maybe." Dhrishtadyumna shrugged.

"Satyakānta." Satyajita continued.

"Shikhā."

The gazes then zeroed on Kamalnayani who had been grinning stupidly since she realised that Adhrit was Vishnu's name as well, the deity who had been recently piquing her interest enigmatically. "Err . . . Mohini." she smiled at the thought of the blue lord's female avatar, whose name she shared.

"By the way, why . . . why is everyone staring at us?" She blushed looking around, rubbing her nape, gaining chuckles.

"They're gawking at the exquisite ladies, not all of us." Draupadi teased. "Or maybe just you. After all, Mohini you are."

"Krishnaa Jijiiiiiiiiii-"

"Krishu babyyyyyy!" she replied in the same whiny tone, of that of her baby sister as chuckles followed the commotion too.

"I am not a baby, woman." Kamalnayani pouted as Dhrishtadyumna pinched her cheeks.

"Of course you are little one."