44. Of Farewells And Welfares

Devaki's velvety palms cupped her daughter-in-law's visage in them as motherly affection oozed out of her. She planted a soft kiss on the latter's forehead as Vasudeva patted her back. "Our daughter you see, Devaki, she will bring glory to our clan." His baritone was so proud, the lord's consort was overwhelmed. Kamalnayani let her arms fly around Devaki and Rohini when they both hugged her.

"Surely she will, Aarya," Rohini chirped as Bhanu clung to Kamalnayani's sequined saree, Samba sticking to her bosom as one of her neck pieces were claimed by his growing teeth. They were heartbroken and so was she, Satyabhama and Jambavati collected their boys before pressing their lips on Kamalnayani's cheeks. "Putri, you must know that we are doing no favour to you. You don't owe us anything, don't hide your eyes from us." Haladhara's janani had read through the eyes of the younger fire-born as Kamalnayani shook her head haplessly.

"You surely have, Mata and Pita, you have. I...how will I even fulfil my responsibilities as your daughter-in-law in all this gallimaufry?" She chewed on the inside of her cheeks in antsy and downcasted her eyes again.

"You are a queen, and a queen keeps her head high, looks at the daunting duties in the eye and gives them a wink. She knows that she is the best, she's imperfect yet stubborn for her goals. She learns and jumps to her feet after being knocked down." Devaki let her fingers roam in the former's hair and beamed, "Remember, you are a Kshatrani. This is your chance and this is your field, prove yourself to be the best. Our blessings shall always remain with you. Maharaja Raksh is a person you can't lose your patience with. There's no pressure to coax him so soon, focus on yourself and the state for now."

For this sacrifice all of my loved ones have made, Kamalnayani resolved, I will set this right. I cannot be knocked down. Not yet.

"Hridayaa, my love, what may I know has occupied your mind?" Kanha smiled as his parents stepped aside and everyone spared a little space for the couple. Kamalnayani let her eyes meet his and cocked her head to the side.

A smirk kicked up her lips as she casually answered, "You."

Kanha laughed, shaking his head at her shenanigans as did she. His flautist fingers wrapped themselves around her lotus pendant which was just half, and materialised a peacock feather such that they joined to form a magical little token of their love.

Kamalnayani gasped at the beauty as her vivacious eyes met Kanha's moonstruck ones, "Kanha and Hridayaa, together forever."

"Kanha near and in Hridayaa's heart." And with that, their clasped hands loosened, letting go— for to love was to liberate the beloved.

Kamalnayani's eyes weren't hesitant but reckoning, and Indra found himself quite impressed by this form of JagatMata, whom the gods usually believed to be restricted to self loath and tilted towards a mortal nature

Kamalnayani's eyes weren't hesitant but reckoning, and Indra found himself quite impressed by this form of JagatMata, whom the gods usually believed to be restricted to self loath and tilted towards a mortal nature. She was the daughter of a king and now a ruling queen herself, the disciple of a proud Maharshi Durvasa. Politics was all her maiden life was shrouded with, and observance was what she cloaked herself with in her marital life, it would be fatuous to say that the gods would be so generous for no reason. Her father had once said, that selfishness was the nature of everyone - be it a normal human, a sage, or even the gods.