24. Long Time No See

Once some many thousand years ago, her ancestor King Sudasa had fought and driven away ten tribal kings from his land. This resulted in an unprecedented war which they named as the Dashragya yuddha. One of the kings had been Maharajah Yadu, from whom originated the Yadava Dynasty. Perhaps, her marriage was also a way to mend the archaic wounds the clans still possibly pondered upon. Perhaps, their ardor for each other had cured them for once and for all.

The grandeur of the divine amalgamation had persevered even a week after it. She had not envisaged being uneasy consistently from then. When her father and father-in-law had confirmed that it was bound to be one of the most impeccable weddings the land had seen, they had been wholly professional about it.

Not that she complained. Her lover- no, husband, was one of the many diplomats that steered the chariot of dharma in the subcontinent. A cowherd prince, who riveted everyone around him and had found his way to the highest pedestal of the royal hierarchy chain via his unparalleled prowess. Rightly named Krishna : dark and enchanting.

The alabaster and sapphire hues paired auditorium which usually served as the trial court, the Sudharma Sabha, welcomed colossal aristocrat throngs in hundreds and the bride stood just in front of the throne which was of Maharajah Ugrasena. Hands duly locked ahead of her and a regal demeanor further embellishing the effortless grace she was taught to be, like many other princesses, a jittery Kamalnayani sported a near naive curiosity on her countenance as she glimpsed at her vicinity with anticipation bubbling in her. The myriad of emotions were not something new and so from her outer physiognomy, she was very well suited to be the destined empress’ sister, her shadow. The picture of warming flames which was also the heat a mortal body possessed when inhabited by a soul. The Agni tattva is life.

Kamalnayani idly wondered if the respite that had once seemed enticingly tranquil and had nearly cost her liberty was worth it. Had Kanha not arrived perhaps Drupada would have to give in to Jarasandha's demands or— the ordeal would morph into bloodshed. Should she resort to the demure bearing that truly wasn't hers, she would be duping her loved ones, a sort of a treachery. It didn't sit right with her. Besides the want for glory had stained her hands with crimson before they turned mustard yellow and had she not retaliated, piety and the much appreciated passiveness expected from women long tossed into nothingness, she would be at the doors of Yamadharma.

Her fiesty praxis when it came to uncompromising rectitude was what drew the political compass’ needle towards her. She knew being the consort of Kanha who remained fraught by multiple quandaries at every junction of his life was beckoning her for quite an endeavor. And well, she will have to sail through. No matter how much she strived staying discreet to dodge every trifling and crucial conflict.

“Do you believe I can join the women’s wing or council to look after one of the shared responsibilities?” She interrogated her lord who stood beside, seeming positive and prideful after hearing the ride of overthinking and absentmindedness from her end that finished on her faith in herself. Not that she was deficit in it, but the fluctuating in esteem was not an attribute that was to be lauded. “I have . . . been ruminating that I cannot stay dormant any longer. It's getting monotonous and I am good at finances, you know me.”

Kanha laughed, amusement dancing in his mannerisms, “So soon? I doubt the mothers are going to let you in now. You can ask Rukku about it though, worry less, she is the chief of it all and will be able to assign you a suitable position. Of course I know you, love.”

“Fair.” Kamalnayani casually bobbed her head and tilted it to the side, maybe any other day she would have noted it to be unbecoming of a palace woman, but in these times she was a lot more air-headed than before. Her eyebrows jumped in surprise, sensing an eye set on her as she whisked to it, “Them! What are they doing here?” She muttered to an amused Kanha, trying to be as low as possible as the infamous coterie of the four— Duryodhana, Dushasana, Shakuni and Karna averted from her stare in a rushed manner.