Chapter 9 - "Making the Cure"

After Chelsea had panicked about the crystal samples being gone, Joe and Chelsea left to go talk and maybe try to look for the crystal samples. Kat got to work on trying other ways to make the cure. So far she had been successful, which was new. Kat still couldn't stop thinking about how she may not even want the cure. She was in so much stress, with making the cure, becoming a Gootraxian, seeing the weird crystal... It was all just so much work. And so little time to do it. Part of Kat just wanted to curl up and cry, but she knew she couldn't. Even though she didn't want to make the cure, or even have the cure, Chelsea wanted it, and Kat was sure others did, too.  

Kat continue working on the cure for about 6 hours straight before she decided to call it for the day. The cure was almost finished, but she seriously needed a rest. She headed to the sleeping quarters and took a nap.

Kat dreamed about the Panther. She had so many questions. First off, why did she feel like she had a connection to them somehow? Second off, why was the Panther acting so weird yesterday? They were so calm... She had so many questions, but that isn't what this dream was about. It kept replaying in her head- the room where the Panther was in filling up with acid, and it trying to escape. Kat hated it with all of her heart. She woke up finally, and headed back to the mini lab where she worked. Today was oddly less busy and chaotic then the others. It was kind of weird. She also wondered where Chelsea and Joe were, although she suspected they were trying to find the crystal samples still. Kat continued to work on the cure. Finally after about 2 hours Chelsea and Joe came back. "How's the cure going?" Joe asked. "Actually, very well, which is really weird." Kat replied. "Good, because we still can't find the Crystal Samples." Chelsea said, sighing before sitting down.

Chelsea helped with the cure a bit, and 𝙁𝙄𝙉𝘼𝙇𝙇𝙔... Finally the cure was finished. It was actually finished. Kat sighed with relief. "Now, we just need to test it on a Goo to see if it works." She called for a guard to bring in a random goo. They brought in a Fig. Kat injected the cure into the Fig's arm carefully and gently before stepping back. The fig looked at their paws- no, hands- the goo was slowly dissipating into nothing. They became human again.

The cure works.

"I-It works!" Kat said, VERY obviously excited. "'Aight, Let me! I'm done being an oversized squirrel!" Chelsea said, holding her arm out. Kat injected her with it, hesitating for a moment, but... Chelsea did WANT the cure, so... Chelsea became human again, dancing around happily. "YES! YES YES YESSSS!" She smiled, and then looked at Kat. "Well? What are you waiting for?" Chelsea said. 

Kat thought for a very long moment. "Chelsea... I-... I don't think I want the cure."

The room went quiet. "What?" Chelsea said, shocked. "But- But- I thought the entire reason of making the cure was for you- and- and maybe the Gootraxians, but-" Chelsea said, confused and stunned at the same time.

 "I know... But... When I was a human, I was just a normal scientist. The every day scientist who really liked the Gootraxians for no reason. But now, Now that I'm a Gootraxian... I've felt a connection to them. I don't want to give that up, and risk losing their trust." Kat explained.

"Plus, I don't even think most of the Gootrax will want the cure."

"I mean... I guess your right..." Chelsea said, thinking for a few minutes. Kat then had an idea. "Alright. I've got a really good idea, guys!"

After rounding up every single Gootraxian, the aggressive ones with extra precautions, there was a long line. Kat looked the first one in the eyes. They were a rather masculine Lang. "Sir, Do you want to stay how you are? Or maybe go back to the way things were?" She asked with all the kindness in her voice. Because she was a Gootraxian, only she could understand them. "I... I miss being a human. Can I have the Cure?" He asked anxiously. "Of course. That's what we are here for!" Kat smiled, giving him the cure. For the rest of the day they did this for every Gootraxian, each and every one.

And after all of them, she finally got the Panther. "Hello." The Panther greeted her in a feminine voice. "After the interactions we've had, I've been so rude as to not introduce myself." The Panther grinned. "May I?" She asked. "Fine, but after you 'introduce yourself' you have to decide whether or not you want to take the cure, alright?" Kat said. "Alright then." The Panther agreed.

"You may call me Viper." The Panther grinned.