{part 21}~ checking boxes

Today was the day everyone in my English class would read out there essays. They were all pretty boring but I couldn't say much. I wrote about (wherever you most belong) and everyone seemed to like it. After me was hunter. His was the most boring thing ever and honestly he had no hope of winning.
Next was ginny she looked nervous but from what shed said it sounded pretty good.
"Growing up, i thought that." She said her voice shaking. She stopped toke a deep breath and started again.
"Growing up, I thought that people were born with their heads cocked because thats how they looked at me. Boxes. Check one, check other. People don't know,they dont furrow between the layers like i do. They dont switch and twitch and actively make the decision of which. Which part of me belongs today? Which aspect of my personality will offend the least and blend the most, and work and succeed and bury the lead like a switchboard of traits that decide mu fate, and im always the imposter?  Always lost, always asking for directions, and people point my way like the scarecrow. Like tornadoes blowing me whichever way the wind blows. Well, Dorothy doesn't want to play today. Shes prepping for the SAT. Just the scantron. The box is empty, and glaring and daring me to choose one. Well, im an expert at boxes. My whole life can fir inside it and ive got it down to a science. I can pack my entire identity in an hour cause where theres roots, theres power, but im all topsoil. My blood runs like water and oil refusing to stick. My dads old books, read in secret nooks. That camera that locks all my memories in a flash,saved for when my recollection doesn't last. That lighter that sparked that fire. All fit in a box ready to be carried from door to door. But thats not the kinda box people ask for. So many lines in the sand. So many cants and cans. I see both worlds so clearly, and i skip and jump and dance and fall between then never seen. I belong in the spaces between. Check all that may apply"
She said proudly. As she should the essay was incredible probably the best in the class. Everyone stood up clapping and cheering.
Max encouraged everyone to stand up and we did.
"Whoop whoop" I shouted.
As i sat back down thinking she would win I realised that although it was amazing and did answer the question. It really wasn't what was asked and it was a shame because if it was then she definitely would have won.
A few more people read theres out before mr gitten announced the winner. Obviously i was hoping for it to be me but it probably wasn't.
"And the winner is..... hunter chen"
Everyone froze for a moment before clapping. Clearly they all agreed that his was trash. He turned round to ginny and drew her a look that was honestly cheeky and unnecessary. Obviously it couldn't be helped that he won but like he could have been nice about instead of a dick.
"You were robbed" max said to ginny.
"Yeah, yours was way better than his" i mean it was but at least hunters piece of shit checked all the boxes.
.... See what i did there.
We then all packed up to leave and hunter came walking over to us.
He asked ginny if there was any hard feelings and he left.
"Yous coming?" Max asked.
"Yup" i said zipping up my bag.
"Yous go ahead" ginny said
Me and max then left to go to our next class.

AN: heyy!!! Hope everyone's doing okay
And thank you so much for 1k reads it honestly means everything. I wrote most of this when i was sick and bored so im glad that some people are getting some form of enjoyment from that.
When i wrote this I copied and pasted a copy of ginnys essay thing to my friends and I think they think im off my rocket and they're probably right tbh
Anyways happy Wednesday!

Words:620