Comfort (Gender neutral reader)

HEYYY sorry for being gone for a while I got distracted by Sonic Adventure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anyways this was requested by ArielAAurelius913 :3 Also TW for parental issues (Gonna be angst)

Y/N POV

After a miserable year and a half of working minimum wage at the gas station and other various side hustles, I finally saved up enough money to move to a place with more affordable rent. I decided that it would be a good idea to call my parents to tell them about the good news. My parents never really appreciated any of the ideas that I had. Maybe this time I'll make them proud.

I dialed their home phone number and waited for one of them to pick up. After about a minute, my mother picked up the phone. "Hello? Who is this?" She asked. "Hi mom, it's Y/N! I've got some very exciting news!" I replied. She went silent for a moment. "Oh. Well spit it out, what's up?" She asked, a slight annoyance in her voice. "I got a new place with cheaper rent! I'll be moving in next week. I'm so excited!" I exclaimed. I heard her calling my dad over to the phone.

"So you have a new house?" My dad asked. "Yeah! I've been saving money for a while now." I answered. Silence. "Are you proud of me?" I asked. My mother sighed. "I don't even understand why you'd call us about something as unimportant as this. So you got a new house, it's really not a big deal." My mother said. More silence.

"Well um... what do you think Dad?" I asked, hoping for a better response. "Y/N, I'm really not in the mood to hear about this right now. Don't call again unless you have something that's actually important to tell us." My father replied. "But dad-" "I don't want to hear it!" He exclaimed, cutting me off. "Alright then. Goodbye mom, bye da-" I was cut off by them hanging up.

I had trouble falling asleep. For once in my life I truly thought my parents would be proud of me. I shouldn't have called them. Part of me knew that they wouldn't care, yet I didn't listen to myself. I felt devastated. I was tossing and turning for most of the night, finally falling asleep.

The next morning I overslept. I decided to stay home and call in sick. I didn't feel like eating or drinking anything. I couldn't even get out of bed. I felt numb, like I was an empty shell of a person I once was. I felt weak from hunger and thirst. All of this over a single phone call. I felt pathetic. A tear rolled down my cheek and onto my pillow. And another, and another.

John Doe POV

I walked into the gas station where Y/N worked, expecting to see them behind the counter. To my surprise, someone else took their place. That's odd, Y/N always shows up to work. "Excuse me, where is Y/N?" I asked the cashier. "I'm pretty sure they called in sick sir. Do you need anything else in the meantime?" They asked. I shook my head, leaving the gas station.

I practically ran over to Y/N's house. I knocked on the door. No answer. I walked around the side of their house, peering into their bedroom window. They were curled up in their bed, back facing the window and shaking. Something was terribly wrong. I ran back to the front door and knocked again. "Y/N? Y/N are you alright?" I asked, loud enough so that they might hear me. Suddenly, the door opened.

Y/N looked extremely drained. Their hair was messier than usual, and they looked sickly. "Oh, hey John. What's up?" Y/N asked. "Are you okay? I didn't see you at the gas station today. I just needed to make sure you're okay." I replied. They grabbed my hand and pulled me inside, shutting the door. Y/N hugged me tightly. I froze, before hugging them back. I could hear muffled sobbing coming from them.

"Hey, are you okay? What happened Y/N?" I asked. They told me about the phone call with their parents. "I don't know what to do anymore John. No matter how hard I try, my parents never appreciate anything I do. I don't know how long I can take this John." They added. They continued to cry into my shoulder. It hurt so badly to see them in pain. Hurt by their own family. All I want to do right now is make them feel better.

"It's going to be okay Y/N! I'm so proud of you for doing something good for yourself. I love you so much Y/N, you mean the world to me!" I reassured them. Y/N slowly stopped crying. "Really? You mean it?" They asked. I nodded. "I do mean it. I love you so, so much." I replied. They gave me a warm smile, before kissing me on the cheek. My face was flushed with red. "Thank you, John. I love you too." They said. "Y-You're welcome! Do you need anything?" I asked. Y/N thought about it for a moment. "I haven't eaten all day, I could really use some food." They answered. "Alright, I can make you something to eat!" I exclaimed.

Y/N POV

After eating the meal John made for me, I let out a long yawn. "You must be tired. If you want me to I can leave so you can get to sleep!" John suggested. I shook my head. "No, I want you to stay." I responded. John smiled widely. "Alright! So what do you-" I cut him off by dragging him to my bedroom. I layed him onto my bed, resting on his chest.

"Thank you so much for coming over, I really needed that." I told him. He smiled. "You're welcome Y/N! I'll stay as long as you need me to." He replied. He held me closer to him, rubbing my back and whispering different affirmations to me. I love him so much. He's a bigger comfort to me than anyone ever could be. After a few minutes, I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

Hey hope you guys liked this one! Sorry if it's kinda rushed :) feel free to leave suggestions for more oneshots ^_^