17|inseparable

Flipping through the pages of the file he held at hand, he read. It was once again, a Monday morning and paperwork began. He was drinking the remaining warm coffee left in the cup when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in,"

"You sent for me sir," Samuel said to him.

"Yes I did. I need you to give Mr. Peterson a call. Remind him of his meeting with me by 10am sharp."

"Yes sir, any other thing sir?" Samuel asked. "Nothing-" another knock sounded.

"Enter!" He called and Fiona walked up to him.

"I sent for my secretary, not you Miss Weston."

"She hasn't signed in yet sir,"

"What do you mean she hasn't signed in yet?!" Ashton snapped and Fiona flinched in fear. Ashton cursed silently before waving his hand at her in dismissal and she got out of there as quickly as she could.

"I never knew I have a very incompetent and otiose secretary!" He stood from his chair. "I have to do everything without her then,"

"Ashton," the voice called. Ashton turned to look at Samuel in curiosity. Samuel never thought it was necessary to call him by his first name. Not that he was against it, he even preferred it but Samuel preferred to be formal with everyone he came across.

"Jane died on Saturday night,"

"What?" Ashton face was with a frown now. He was still trying hard to comprehend what he was just told.

"Thea's mother.....is dead. She died on Saturday night."

Ashton quickly grabbed his jacket and without wasting any time, dashed through the door. Samuel opened his mouth to say something but he shut it when he saw that there wasn't any need for it.

---

Having opened the door, Thea stared at the shoe of someone. Her eyes found her way up his figure before they landed on his face. She gasped.

"Ash," she whispered mainly to herself but he heard it anyways.

He took steps towards her and she backed away instinctively, giving him room to shut the door behind him. When she saw this, she stopped moving. Ashton pulled her closer to himself and pressed her head to his chest. He didn't remember the last time he had been this close to her. By hugging her, he remembered how much he loved lavender.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Tears filled her eyes almost immediately. Her hands clutch his shirt too as she cried.

"She's gone," was what she kept saying. Ashton smoothened her hair, comforting her with his touch.

---

"Can you tell me what happened? How she died?" Ashton asked. Thea couldn't keep his stare for long. His eyes was something that always seemed to be her weakness at some point in their relationship. She couldn't believe he was here instead of at work.

She listened to him telling Samuel to handle his schedule today except the ones of Mr. Peterson. At some point, she felt guilty, pulling him out of work for this. How did he even know?

"She was sick?" She simply said.

"And let me guess, it was pretty serious," he said and she nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?" Her breath hitched in her throat at his statement.

"I didn't want to worry you anyways,"

"Why would you worry me? You know Jane was like a mother to me, why didn't you tell me Thea," she looked away.

"What's the name of the doctor that treated her. I'll sue him or her and the hospital for not giving her the best treatment there is, just give me a name." He requested. Getting on his feet, he brought out his phone to make a call.

"What? No, no, no, don't do that."

"Give me a name!"

"No Ashton, stop it!" She tried reaching for his phone but he was able to get it out of her reach and placed it to his ear.

"Yes barrister Aaron,"

"It was cancer!" She blurted out of nowhere. His eyes darted to hers immediately.

"What?" Slowly, he brought the phone away from his ear.

"The illness was cancer and we found out about it late,"

"Cancer!" His voice pierced her ears icily. "She had Cancer? Since when? How is that even possible?" He scoffed. "Why am I knowing about this now," he said.

"I-"

He frowned the more. "And why didn't you even tell me? Didn't you think it was important?" His eyes burned with tears and his chest constricted painfully.

"No it was necessary, I....couldn't tell you because....I... I didn't want you to worry. I...." The tears that once dried up started to form once more.

"Since when did you find out?"

"I found out few days before our wedding was cancelled. I didn't want you to feel that I'm marrying you for your money. I'm sorry....."

"I'll have you know that this news is very disheartening Thea and what would it matter if I helped you? Isn't it what I'm supposed to do? We were supposed to not keep things from each other if you can remember Thea!" He said to her. "But you keep on doing it every. Single. Time, I hope you like it the way it is then. I pray I would finally feel content knowing that the only reason attaching you to me is gone. She's gone," he said to her before walking out of her place.

She didn't even know how heartbreak really felt like until now. This was the first time Ashton actually yelled at her. The first time she really saw him shed tears. Their last parting wasn't even as painful as this and she didn't know how to express this pain she felt. This pain that wanted to tear her to pieces. Silent tears slid down her face and for quite a while, she kept staring at the door.

---

Earlier in the day, Jace joined Ashton on his strides to the office. Remembering their night drinking together was the first thing that came to his mind.

"What's up?"

"I came early so I can talk to you about something very important."

Ashton checked his watch immediately. "Well I'm free now but not later."

"Them I'll just say it now." They stopped walking immediately and Ashton turned to Jace curiously.

"I need help, please."