28|and pain

"Where were you last night?" Ashton froze at the door to his home. Releasing who spoke, he shut the door softly.

"That's none of your business," he told her, beginning to walk further into the kitchen.

"You were with her, were you not?" He grabbed a bottle of water in the fridge and began walking upstairs but she followed immediately.

"I don't know what you even see in her. We have a future together Ashton, you should be bothered about us, about our marriage."

"There will be no marriage between us," he simply said dumping the can of water on his night stand.

"What?!" She shrieked. "No, no, no..." She tried to clear her head. "You don't know what you are saying. We are getting married by the end of the month, is that understood?"

"And you should be out of my building before tomorrow night else, you get to sleep outside."

She chuckled. "You have got to be kidding me. You chose her over me? Let me tell you want thing I'm sure of Ashton, we will get married to each other. Come what may, I'll do everything in my power to ensure that happens." Ashton raised a brow at her outburst, watching in annoyance as she banged his room door on her way out.

Who does she think she is? Maybe to cut her tail, he would have to teach her a lesson soon.

---

Ashton accelerated into the road hurriedly, he was reminded constantly of what Samuel had told him few minutes ago.

Thea was taking in for questioning.

He was easily crowded when the traffic went red. He hit the wheel and cursed in frustration.

Why in hell would they want to question Thea? For goodness sake, she was innocent and no amount of accusations would be able to prove him wrong.

When it was green again, he didn't waste time wallowing on empty thoughts. He sped away, towards the police station.

Entering the room, he stared right through the glass demarcating the two rooms. He saw Thea seated with her chin down as she answered Peterson's questions.

"Why is she here?" Ashton spoke for the first time. The man besides him gave him a look before leaning towards the table placed after the glass. "She is innocent,"

"We never said that she wasn't. We just needed to clear something out. We had a look at the persons Freya contacted before she passed away and she was among them. It got us thinking of the possibilities that Freya might have told her something."

Ashton shoved his hands into his pocket while listening. "Everyone knows that your sister and Thea never got along. Now why did she call Thea. Could it be that she wanted to tell Thea something? That's all we have to find out." The man said.

Ashton's eyes darted to where she was seated.

"How long till this is over?" Ashton asked anxiously.

"It's going to take a while because we just called her in." He said to Ashton.

Ashton turned from the man to stare pass the glass as Thea spoke to Peterson. For a second there, their eyes locked but she looked away from him and continued talking.

"I want to hear what they are talking about," the man gave the headphone to him immediately and Ashton put it on.

"I didn't do anything to stop her when she told me that she was going to let the truth out. I didn't even want to stop her."

"So let me get this straight, Freya called you a day before she died and she told you to get back with Ashton at all cause," Peterson said and she nodded. Thea eyes met with Ashton's again and they saw the shock in them. She quickly looked away as if she was ashamed of keeping it to herself.

"And did she tell you why?"

"She didn't, she said she couldn't explain here that we needed to meet. She was going to call me when she'll be ready but I didn't have her call. Then, I found out she was dead, later on."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't know it was that serious. Everyone wanted me to get back with Ashton but I was too convinced that we didn't have a future anymore."

Peterson sighed. "That'll be all, thank you so much Miss Kennedy," Thea nodded, mustering a smile. Her eyes locked with Ashton's again and stayed there.

---

She played with the end of her skirt, nervously. She gently watched as his attention never darted from the road. The was tired of the silence already. She knew he was angry, angry with her, for not telling him.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly.

"What?" He asked confused.

"I said, I'm sorry." She said more audibly. "For not telling you, I know you are upset with me."

He sighed. "To an extent, I'm not but to a longer Length I am." He said.

"What does that even mean?" She asked quietly.

"What was your reason for not telling me Thea?" He finally asked.

"I did want to tell you but I didn't know how I would put it, how to even bring it up."

"What trouble would it cause you to just start by saying, your sister called a day before she died. She wanted to meet up with you, I would've understood."

"Are you trying to say I didn't want to tell you?"

"I'm not trying to say, it's what I think." He retorted.

"Well don't think that far, I would have eventually told you." They were parked outside of Thea's house now talking. He sighed and picked up his incoming call.

"Mother," he said. "What?" He face formed a frown now. Thea sat properly wanting to know the problem. He dropped the phone from his ear afterwards.

"What's wrong?"

"Something about Claire, do you want to come with?" He asked.

"Do you think I should?"

"No, we need to keep what we have quiet from external ears first then we can deal with them later." She nodded. He leaned, cupping her cheeks, he kissed her softly.

"We may fight all the time but don't think I'll love you any less Thea," he told her and she stared I to his eyes with emotions far intense than lust or love. "I love you," he said.

"I love you too." She replied. When she eventually stepped out of the car. He didn't want to wait another moment. He drove off towards home, very curious about what his mother wanted to say to him.

---

"Hello sunshine,"

Claire pulled him into a hug before his family without shame. He wasted some seconds before he eventually peeled her hands off his body.

His eyes were staring at his mother and father in confusion.

"Ashton?" His mother called. "I'm so very upset with you," she blurted out then walked close to him. "You didn't think it was important to let us know of your plans before it's too late."

"I don't understand, tell me what you mean." He said.

"Claire said the both of you are to be married by the end of the month," his father said arranging his cuffs with a look of disinterest.

While Ashton's, mirrored one confusion, but it remolded itself to one of anger.