19|madly drawn

Dawn sat before Mr. Peterson the next morning. Samuel requested of her to tell the police everything she had told him.

After an hour of questioning, they let her go home.

All they needed to do now, was find Zachary Phillips and they will be an inch close to the culprit. As least, that was what they thought.

"Thank you for today,"

"I really see no need for you to thank me, I did it for Freya. If what I just told you would help in whatever way, then I have no problem." Dawn said.

"Hm, okay."

"On another note, why you decided to walk me home is leaving me bewildered," she almost smiled at the end of her statement.

"You shouldn't be, I'm showing how grateful I really am." Samuel said. "Ashton is bent on finding this culprit that killed his sister and he is one of the people i wouldn't hesitate to do anything for. So take it as if you really did something for him and I'm showing you gratitude in his place." Said Samuel.

"What about your life outside all this, don't you have something or someone else to prioritize than your boss." Samuel said.

"Someone like,"

"Your mother?"

"Dead," he simply said.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She apologized immediately.

"Been over it. While my father is outside the country, my sisters are very okay where they are. I'm practically on my own." Samuel said to her.

"Your girlfriend?"

"I don't have one. I don't plan on having one anytime soon." The lady paled on his reply.

She hesitated before saying, "never? Ever?"

He was forced to smile slightly at her surprise. "Are you bothered?"

She scoffed. "No, of course not. Why would I be bothered?" She swallowed.

They both stopped before her apartment and Samuel turned to her.

"I think I'll say goodbye from here."

She nodded in agreement. "Thank you for walking me home."

"It's no problem." He said. Staring at each other for quite some time, she took the bold step.

"Goodbye,"

"Samuel," he said immediately. "You can call me Samuel. Just in case, we are pass official level, we can as well call each other by our first names."

And she said, "That's definitely fine by me."

---

The tension was obvious with both of them in the room. He collected the last file from her outstretched hands and opened them.

"Are the preparations finished yet?" He asked. It took her sometime before she realized that he was talking to her.

"Almost,"

He gave her no reply after that. Very obvious was it that he didn't want to talk about yesterday.

"About yesterday," she tried.

"We are at office hours Miss Kennedy, I do not want to talk about such things."

"I'm sorry," she still said.

"Didn't you hear me?" She took the file he had stretched to her. "I made some corrections few hours ago, you didn't implement them. Are you tired of working here, Miss Kennedy?"

She swallowed. "No sir, I just didn't hear you make them."

"You shouldn't be distracted at work," he stated as a matter of fact. It was then he noticed that he no longer had her stare. "I hate it when my employees are distracted."

She nodded. "I'm sorry Sir, it will not happen again." Her eyes met his for the last time before turning away from him with the little composure she had.

"I never said you could leave." She halted in her at first.

"I thought there was nothing else to talk about," she said.

"Nothing else, we have a lot of things to talk about." He said and she turned to him again. "I want to know every detail of your arrangements,"

"I think I explained that in the morning but you seemed to be distracted yourself too,"

He said, "You will just go over it, again and again till I listen. There should be no reason to keep delicate information, to yourself."

"You just said not to talk about that in the office,"

"Talk about what? My ceremony?" He feigned confusion. "I honestly think I have the right to discuss it whenever I want. After all, it is my ceremony."

She scoffed. "I really do not understand why you seem to be enjoying yourself to my detriment."

He stood from where he sat. Walking around the table, he stopped directly in front of her. "That is what you think? You think I am enjoying this?" He scoffed the said, "If you think so, then you know nothing."

"You made me believe you cheated on me for a year and some months because of some stupid situation we could have handled if you'd just told me!" He snapped. "You made me visualize you as someone out of character to get you out of my head every single time and it steadily killed me day in and day out!"

"You Thea," he stopped. "Are the most selfish and proud person I have ever met."

"You want to talk about this?" He hit the table angrily making her flinch from the hard noise. "Fine we'll talk about this."

"What happened to all those times we spent together? All those years were enough to see through me Thea. I never for once tagged you a gold digger. Why now huh?"

"It is enough reason." He recoiled in shock. "I only ever come to you with problems, isn't that enough reason to try and be independent this one time!" She snapped. Tears that were threatening to expose her pain came running down her cheeks.

"Even your father thought the same thing Ashton,"

"Now you are just trying to blame my father about all this, this was all your fault. Your mistake caused us our marriage and child. Your mistake made the both of us like this, shattered and confused-"

"Yes I admit it! I admit that I made a terrible mistake trying to save you from my burdens. Isn't that why you find me bothering that even my presence irks you."

"That's not-"

"Don't try to defend it. You know what I am saying is true. Have you forgotten so soon? When I wanted to explain things properly, you sent you Fiancée to me. You never wanted to see me again? Isn't that what you said."

He said, "I gave you chances to explain yourself to me. You were supposed to meet up with me that evening, you never showed up-"

"And you never asked why,"

Ashton was quiet now. He indeed never asked her the reason for not meeting up with him like he requested.

"You still did not ask about our baby Ashton. When I fully recovered from it, you were long gone and out of the country."