Chapter 10:

“Itakbo mo pa, Bongbong!” Isko shouted breaking the crowd’s silence, the whole red team then cheered as Bongbong got the lead of the race. It was very ironical, it was unexpected.

Kiko was very shocked of what happened and tried to run fast to keep up with Bongbong, but he failed to surpass him on the race. Hindi niya na natapatan si Bongbong, hindi niya na kayang habulin pa ang binata.

“My God, Kiko, habulin mo! This is for the sake of the yellow team!” Shouted his groupmates that are now disappointed and somewhat angry.

While in the pink team, Leni was watching—astound. She couldn’t utter a single word and couldn’t even breath. As he’s watching Bongbong run, she couldn’t help it but to be amazed. Bongbong is really fast.

“What the?! Ang bilis niya ha!” Grace was shocked of what she saw.

“Yeah, napakabilis niyang tumakbo!” Dagdag pa ng isa nilang ka-grupo na si Riza Hontiveros.

“I wasn’t expecting that either, hindi naman siya runner pero nangunguna siya ngayon.” Said Leila Dr Lima—also a member of the pink team.

But the expected win turned out to be an irony, it was so sudden. Hindi inaasahan ng lahat ang sumunod na nangyari kay Bongbong, nadapa siya. Nanlaki ang mga mata ng kaniyang mga ka-grupo at napatigil ito sa pagsigaw, kaagad namang tumayo si Bongbong upang ipagpatuliy ang laban.

“Kakayanin ko ’to, this is for the team to keep up the scoreboard! And for... her favor.” Bongbong took a deep breath as he ran to on the tracks. Kiko was keeping up with him, only inches apart each other.

“Kiko! Kaunti pa! Ihabol mo!” yelled the members of the yellow team.

Hingal na hingal na si Bongbong pero hindi niya alintana iyon, humahapdi na rin ang kaniyang tuhod at kamay dahil sa pagkadapa kanina pero hindi niya ito iniinda. He was doing it all, pushing his best to win.

Until...

He reached the finish line...

In second place.

Kiko won the game, the whole yellow team screamed in joy as their member won the gold in two hundred sprint run. The red team was so happy for Bongbong also, maybe he lost but he still gave his best to run and atleast, he won second.

It’s not a lost either, since Bongbong made it to the top three, he saved points for the rally board. Their team is now on the first spot of the board, carrying twenty-five points and the yellow team on the second spot carrying twenty-three.

Since the pink team lost the game to the green team, they are now placed fourth bearing just twenty-two. Hinahabol naman ang iba pang mga teams at sinusubukang makapasok sa overall top three.

Kiko was very proud of himself for winning the game, he took every bit of appreciation giving by the crowd. Kaagad rin siyang nagpunta sa side ng pink team to smile at Leni. Kaagad namang napatingin sa kaniya ang dalaga, he then did the check sign with his hands and he smirked before running to his teammates.

Kaagad napatingin ang iba nilang nga ka-grupo kay Leni, with a large quantity of smile on their faces. Para bang nanghahamak na sabihin ang totoo, nilagyan ng ibang kahulugan ang kanilang nakita.

“Ha... s-si Leonor?!” Grace gasped and looked at her, still astonished of what just happened.

“Ano ’yon ha, Leonor?” Riza then followed asking her, kaagad namang napalingon ang dalaga sa kanila at nanlalaking-mata napagtanto ang nangyari.

“Is there something between the two of you?” Leila followed. Kinikilig siya  nang dahil sa kaniyang nasaksihan.

“W-wala! It’s n-nothing, I swear!” Leni put her hands in front of her and she covered her face.

“Aruy, kinikilig ha! Ang landi niyo!” sabad naman ni Grace.

“I told you, it’s nothing!” Leni insisted but her groupmates teased her again and again.

“Natural lang ’yan, Leni. Tignan mo ha, maganda ka, guwapo naman itong si Kiko. Pareho rin kayo ng interes and parehas din kayo ng pinasukang club.” Grace shipped the two of them.

“Yeah, and you’re close to him in the track and field club, right, Leonor?” Leila followed by asking.

“You should go out with him!” Riza felt butterflies. Napaiwas naman ng tingin si Leni sa kanila, she felt her face is heating up because of the tension they’re making.

“Hindi nga sabi eh.” She insisted once more.

“Aru, why are you blushing then?” Grace teased her, it was then she noticed.

“I’m not!” Leni yelled annoyed.

On the other team, Bongbong arrived at thier side of the stadium—exhausted from all that running. He then noticed his other groupmates running towards him in excitement. When they reached him, they lift him up and tossed him in the air.

“Mabuhay si Bongbong!” they yelled. They put him down after three cheers of hiphip-hooray.

“Yeah, thanks for lifting the team to the first overall spot! Ang galing mo! Sorry we underestimated your abilities.” Isko apologized to him.

“Yeah, we thought that you couldn’t make it to the top three. Then you placed second, you also surpassed Kiko in the middle of the race!” Koko praised him, amazed of what he did.

“Yet someone has the audacity to say na panindigan daw natin na ipinasok ka sa two hundred meter sprint. Ano kayang nararamdaman no’ng taong ’yon, ano, Cynthia?” Parinig ni Ping sa ka-grupo nila, Cynthia just rolled her eyes and left without saying anything.

“Ay, may galos ka pala kasi nadapa ka kanina! You should clean up and go to the aid station, you’ll see Sara there. She’s my clubmate in the track and field club, she’ll help you.” Koko then advised Bongbong to go to the aid station for his wounds because he fell at the race earlier.

“Sige, see you all later.” Bongbong walked away with a smile. But something is troubling him, it was his taken favor. Hindi pa sapat ang pagkapanalo niya, nahihiya siya dahil nangako siya sa sarili niya. Nahihiya rin siya kay Leni dahil alam niyang inaasahan siya nito.

He took a deep breath and he restraint himself from thinking and making himself feel guilty, but he couldn’t stop and bother his head. He was... ashamed.

~Shivered Assurance.