dance with me - c. blackwood

We Have Always Lived in the Castle (2018)
warnings : angst, rejection, sad!charles, failed relationship, third person story.
word count: 465 hd

_____________________

"dance with me," Charles said, holding his hand out for her to grab onto. "please," he nearly begged.

the soft music played in the background, and Y/n took his hand in hers, her soft skin against his rough fingertips.

her thin, white lace dress flowed to the bottom of her knees, and Charles swore he had never seen prettier.

with her hands on his shoulders and his hands on her waist, they danced sweetly to the music for awhile.

"you're beautiful," he muttered quietly, and she gave him a sympathetic look. his eyes looked sad, and his smile from before had already begun to fade.

"thank you, Charles." she pecked his cheek with her soft lips and laid her head on his shoulder.

her nose pressed lightly against his neck. he smelt like his usual expensive cologne. the scent of musk and pine needle filled her nose comfortingly.

"i wish you were mine," he admitted, holding her tighter in his arms. she sighed quietly, not responding to his comment.

"why can't you be mine again?" his voice sounded needy, and she raised her head from his shoulder.

"i'm sorry, Charles," she pat his shoulder once more, "but i cant."

she broke his hands free of her waist and walked away, Charles following after her within seconds.

"why?" he invaded, causing her head to turn quickly in his direction.

"Charles," she warned. she looked down at the floor with her hands on her hips now.

"please, just-" he got closer, taking her hands in his, pleading with her. "why?"

it was quiet for a little longer, and she sucked a breath in before he spoke again.

"i love you," a tear ran down his cheek, his button nose a bright red. "please,"

Charles Blackwood wasn't one to beg, but at this point, he had dropped to his knees with her hands in his, tears falling from his eyes.

"i don't love you anymore, Charles." she said, her voice almost monotoned. she looked down at her ex-lover on the floor in front of her, as he begged for her to take him back. "i'm sorry,"

his head dropped low, and more tears fell into his lap. never had he thought this would be the end of them. he wished it was all a dream, but he couldn't find himself to wake up from it.

"i have to go," she said, her hands drifting from his as his palms fell back into his lap. he sat there alone as she left the room, on his knees in his pretty black suit and tie.

he was simply a man with everything, yet nothing at all.