11. Awaken

TW: mentions of suicide

Viewers discretion is advised

___________________

Pain wasn't something foreign to her. Throughout her life, she was criticized for the way she dressed or the way she was raised. Her poor mother struggled to give her a comfortable life as a single mom with two jobs, but she tried to her best despite the harsh words of society.

In the modern times, fitting in wasn't easy. It was more violent and dangerous. Due to the advanced technology, it was easier for bad people to hide behind a fake profile. Cold cases were common and so were children with guns.

Leo attended school as she was meant to and tried her best to get good grades even if it was hard to process half of the information she was taught. Her mom supported her, being proud for the littlest things even if it was just a participation award. Leo wasn't the brightest but she wasn't consistently down in the slumps either.

Speaking of school, that's where she was headed. Her school uniform clung to her skin as the morning air caused goosebumps to form. Cars flew past her and the streets bustled with people on their way to work. Sometimes she was envious of the way they seemed so carefree. Her mom walked quietly beside her as usual, her dark black hair pulled up in a messy bun. They walked together and nornally parted ways at the next intersection, her mom heading to work and Leo going towards her school.

"Hey momma," She began, hearing her mom hum in response to show that she was listening. "I was thinking about going into law school." She started, making her mom turn to look at her with a smile.

"If that's what you want to do, I'll support you." She said, the bags under her eyes giving away just how worn out she really was. She always insisted that Leo finish school before getting a job even if it was just a part time one.

Her mother held out her hand as they approached the crosswalk and Leo grasped a hold of it out of reflex despite being of age to walk on her own.

Though this time, her mom let her hand go and stopped walking for a second before they stepped into the road. Leo looked back with question in her eyes.

"Hold on a second hun, my boss is calling me." She uttered, digging through her purse to look for her phone.

Leo preoccupied herself by looking around at the tall buildings, ones that she grew up surrounded by. A faint noise caught her attention and she turned her head to see a middle aged boy crossing the street with headphones in his ears, not realizing that the crosswalk light had already turned red.

A semi came speeding down the road and Leo ran towards him, hearing her mom drop her phone out of shock.

A crash echoed and the boy was pushed out of the way.

A scream ripped through the air but it wasn't hers. It was her mom's. And soon after that, sirens. The warmth from the morning sun hit her body as dark crimson liquid pooled underneath her, coating the cement road.