17. The Red Light District

The next day, she coaxed Kise into traveling with her since she was too scared to go alone. He agreed instantly, grateful to have someone like Leo in his life. In his eyes, he didn't have anything to loose. Before he met her, the next day was never promised to him. Now he had something to look forward to and it was spending time with her.

The Red Light District was still a two- three day journey away, so she decided that it was best to continue learning Japanese and to try to teach Kise some English so that they could communicate better. The god in her head helped correct any of her grammerical mistakes and also helped her teach the young boy various english phrases and their meanings.

"Try again. 'Fuck you. Fu-KCH...Y-Uuu.." She sounded out for kise as he listened closely.

"Fuc yu!"

"Fuck you."

"Fuck you!!"

Leo clapped happily, praising him with a few headpats. "Yes! You say that to people who make you mad!" She explained, causing him to nod excitedly.

You're a horrible influence.

Hehehe.

She grasped a hold of his hand when she noticed the sun gradually beginning to set in the distance and pulled him along into a quicker pace. "Are you hungry?" She asked as she pulled a riceball out of her backpack, unwrapping it for him. He nodded and took it gratefully with his free hand.

She didn't know how to tell him about demons and her job, it was dangerous and she didn't want to scare him away. He didn't have anyone else to rely on, and being abruptly send into this world with no way home, she sympathized with that. No one understood what she was going through and how hard it's been to keep her sanity with everything going on. It all happened so fast.

The fact that she's even in this situation would be seen as impossible or unheard of. Being reincarnated or reborn had never been something normal back in her world. The concept of it was foreign just as demons with superpowers that ate humans for strength.

Her gaze darkened as she stared ahead with an unknown look in her eyes.

This was her life now. Dealing with these monsters and being consistently thrown into dangerous situations was her life now, and nothing could bring her back accept the god using her as it's vessle. But what would she go back to? Her mom was dead. No one was waiting for her anymore.

She was trapped here with nothing to return to, no hope.

"Leo-San? Are you okay?" The small boy asked gently, shaking her out of her thoughts. She shot him a reassuring smile and nodded. "Of course! I was just...thinking about what to eat! You see-"

The kid deadpanned as she began rambling in both English and Japanese, making it a little hard for him to piece together her words. She continued pulling him along with a smile.

That night they rested under a tree. Well, Kise rested. Leo was too paranoid to sleep so she stayed up all night and looked around to make sure no demons showed up to eat them. Luckily though, nothing came.

She had to tell him. But how?

"Kise-Kun..." She began, catching his attention as they walked slowly down a dirt trail that morning. "Demons." She said seriously, causing a confused expression to make its way onto his face.

"Demons? What about demons?" He questioned, staring up at her with big, expecting eyes.

"They exist...and I fight them for a living." She answered back, thankful that she knew enough Japanese to explain it without making the situation laughable.