²⁸ Copernicus

"
To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.
"
-Nicolaus Copernicus

"-Nicolaus Copernicus

Take care of me

"I think you're my best friend," Harper laughs, her shoulder bumping against Embry and a grin so wide that for a moment his mind blanks. As per usual there seems to be nothing but her. He basks in the moment until someone bumps his shoulder and he's thrown back into reality. They're at the dinner, and she's in that little blue dress, and he's so tired the bags beneath his eyes are larger than they should be and darker than he thought they could be. But she's here and he told her he'd be there and it seems so worth it.

So worth it until her eyebrows are pinched together, deep eyes raking over his face in concern as she leans in closer from over the counter. Her hand came up to touch his face, grabbing his chin lightly and tilting his head from one side to another. Her hands feel like ice against his feverish skin. He can't breathe. He used to have asthma back before the whole wolf thing hit and he's reminded of an asthma attack with how heavy his chest is and how his breath is catching in his throat and he feels like an inhale is impossible to achieve. "Hey, Em," her voice is soft and low and he hums leaning into her hand. They feel cool and it feels so, so good.

"Hey, Harper," he mimics finally exhaling. His eyes lowering, impossible to keep open fully.

"Are you okay?"

"Mhmm," he hums, pausing to close his eyes as he inhales catching the scent of petrichor that hung around her and spring flowers, and coffee. An insane amount of coffee. Maybe he's delirious. Maybe he needs a little pick me up.

"Really?" He can't see her raised brow but that does not mean he isn't acknowledging its obvious presence. Especially when she sounds like that. All disbelief and judgment.

He can't see her grinning. Or the way she's looking at him in tired amusement. "Do you want to take a nap?"

Embry snorts. His head leaning foreword until his burning head hit the cool wood of the table. He can hear her chiding him although she doesn't say it.

"You laughing at me, Call?" She asks rhetorically. Her eyebrow raises and her lips are downturned into a slight frown despite the playful tone. God, he looked just about dead on his feet. 'What was Sam doing to these boys,' she can't help but wonder.

He lifts his head to look at her and he smiles at her in a way that tickles her memory just right. In a way, she'd thought it wouldn't. Not really. It's crooked, the left side stretching up further than the right, it makes a dimple appear on that cheek. "That's my last name, it sounds better when you say it... you want it?"

He's eyeing her reaction, watching as her fingers that were drifting to him pause from where they were on their way to muse his hair. She had cut it recently and he certainly liked the look more. He's watching as her eyes darted away and heat rose to her cheeks, he can see the goosebumps on her arms that weren't there before and her heart... oh. Her heart was racing. Her lips are twitching up then down then being bitten in a way he felt jealous of. Unsure if he wanted to bite her or the other way around. For a second he dared to imagine those same teeth biting into his lip before mimicking the activity. She saw this of course and immediately stopped. He did not and he wiggled his eyebrows in a cheap imitation of the way Paul does when he's insinuating something he should not.