¹⁷ Galileo

"
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself.
"
- Galileo Galilei

"- Galileo Galilei

Pain & Panic

Embry was certain that fate was a stone-cold bitch. After Jared and Paul hauled him to Emily's they waited until Sam got back from his shift of waiting for vamp stench to waft by to explain what the fuck had just happened. 

"Are you sure?" Sam asked quirking a disbelieving eyebrow. 

Embry swiveled his head to the man as he was previously looking at an essay Harper wrote that had been hanging on the fridge. Something about mendelian genetics that he didn't understand the depth of but he read it over thrice. "I'm reading about something I don't know or care about because she wrote it. Yeah, so I'm pretty fucking sure," Embry snapped. "But I am starting to understand genetics so," he deadpanned to the group of them with absolutely no emotion in his face, "yay me."

Sam and Jared explained imprints to him before he was able to shift back. He understood it as a weird cosmic connection soulmate bond thing that was... weird to say the least. Like one minute of course he had a crush on her and it was like speeding through every stage of a relationship development straight to love and it was weird. It was completely unconditional as well. Like he couldn't help it. He cared about her deeply.

Kim and Jared's story was the blueprint. She already had a crush on him so it was easy peasy once he started actively showing attention to her. Emily and Sam, on the other hand, were a walking disaster. They were the kind of thing he was avoiding. 

So he liked her, found out she was doing things with somebody else, ignored her, made her ignore him, and now she's actively avoiding him because he's an idiot. To top it all off there's this imprint bond which essentially means he's indebted to her forever and he likes it. 

It's weird, but it would be a nice weird if Harper liked him.

Paul was snickering from where he stood across from him, leaning against the counter. "I'm just- this situation-" he let out another round of laughter that left him shaking.

Emily rolled her eyes and swatted at his head. "Paul if you could not, that'd be great. Thanks," she said with an edge in her tone that implied that she would do something dangerous if he continued. 

He would not put it passed her.

Paul sobered up soon after while Sam looked anxious and Jared, well Jared looked confused. 

"Wait, so you're not feeling an eternal bliss?" Several pairs of eyes turned to look at the shameless boy. "What, I read. Kim got me hooked on-"

Sam gave him a tired look and he clammed up. "Embry," the boy looked up from the paper to meet Sam's eyes, "you have a choice to make."