²⁴ Bohr

"
Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true.
"

- Niels Bohr

Sunflower

Sage had always been a little off. The girl who cut her own hair into a choppy bob when she was six and made her barbies kiss and smudged kohl around her eyes at fifteen. She listened to loud music and was so impossibly angry. She was rage and hurt. But she could get away with murder if she wanted to. With a middle finger raised to the world, all she had to do was say the word and all would be forgiven.

She didn't have friends growing up. She had parents who had friends who had kids that she was forced to hang around because they were similar in age. Jacob Black and Quil Ateara were the constants. Of course, when school started she bonded with others based upon simple interests. There was Stacy and Chloe and David. Everybody left her at one point. She made a mistake, a simple slip up, and they would leave. Jacob and Quil always saved her a spot next to them at the lunch table even if they never really did like her. Parents, she guessed.

She liked photography, music, mysteries, and trouble. She liked breaking the rules and seeing how much she could get away with. She liked pushing the boundary until it eventually broke. Her parents didn't care. They weren't around often enough to.

Sage Walker was a drifter. Someone who simply existed in their life and let things happen to them. Who simply watched on, unphased by everything and everyone. No one cared. No one watched. None looked twice until she realized the reason she never showed interest in boys was because she was interested in girls.

And then nobody could keep her name out of their mouths. The girls turned away from her in the locker room and the boys taunted her. Jacob, Quil, and their friend Embry still let her have a seat at their table. She wasn't sure if it was out of pity or an offer of friendship.

Then she saw Harper Young standing in the middle of a hallway looking lost. Her lips pulled down in a frown and thick eyebrows furrowed. A streak of white in her hair and an outfit that screamed 'I'm not from around here'. She stood out in a good way. And so she put one foot in front of the other. Walking as quickly as she could to greet the new girl. Call it intuition but she had a feeling they would be close.

They studied together, hung out, went to parties, comforted each other, slept in the same bed on the weekends when Harper didn't want to go home and Sage didn't want to be alone. They shared secrets and kept each other close. It felt good to be wanted by someone. To be held by someone. To be cared about even if they didn't need to.

Sage liked Harper and Harper liked Sage. One always teetering over the edge of wondering what it would be like. How easy it would be to close the distance. Just a peck, just a taste. Neither of them had. Sage was busy with a new Forks girl every so often and Harper had her not-so-fake fake relationship with Eli. Even as a monster, Sage still found her thoughts wandering to the younger girl. Wondering how she would taste. She found that girls like Harper had quite the kick to them.