²⁶Raman

"
I am the master of my failure
"
- CV Raman

"I am the master of my failure"- CV Raman

interview with the cold ones

The next day there was a consensus among those who cared about the whereabouts of the resident gang of La Push, Harper Young had finally given in. She hadn't let a snide comment out about Embry, or stared angrily at the group of three in her grade, or furrowed her eyebrows in confusion over her cousin, neither Jarad nor Paul got a rise out of her. The final nail in the coffin was when she crossed over the cafeteria and sat where she had. Once upon a time, it was Sage next to her on one side and Embry on the other, Jake and Quil across from them. Now she sat between Embry and Paul during lunch.

Her glazed eyes laid on the bulletin board behind Quil's head. Eyes unfocused and not bothering to do anything about it until Embry nudged her with his elbow and gave her half of one of his sandwiches and his apple. She didn't eat much of it but he had the rest only when she threatened to throw it away.

Those who had been keeping tabs on the steroid cult knew the signs between somebody who was shooting and somebody who was probably going to become a sister wife. She hadn't missed any school, she didn't have mono, she didn't grow a foot and become muscular, nor was she hanging off the arm of one of the token members. To everyone else, she was drifting. Unfocused and bleary with what seemed like the protection of a group, a clique. Harper always thought that one should fit in with their cliques, she supposed she was wrong.

Sage would've noticed that she was angry, she would have noticed that she was hopeless, that she was practically going through her third run-through of grieving for Sage. But Sage wouldn't know, because Sage wasn't there. Sage was gallivanting off with a group of nomads to do whatever the fuck vampires do. Do they drain people like juice boxes? Who knows?

Bella Swan would know. The Cullens would fucking know. And according to everybody and their aunty where Bella Swan was you would find Edward Cullen by her side.

Her plan was loosely crafted and less than perfect. Harper had a shift at Moonstruck after school and while half of the dog breathe group insisted that they come with her the other half restrained that half so she could go to work and pretend to be normal. Eli was there, he was normal. Mrs. Mooney and Bernie (who during that shift dumped a milkshake on a man's head that was trying to take a picture up her skirt) were normal. She was going to pretend until it was time for her to leave and then she would drive the ten minutes into Forks and she would visit the most problematic person there at the moment.

So she did. Everything went exactly as she planned with Eli offering to finish up mopping Bernie's milkshake up so she could leave a couple of minutes earlier than usual. Everything was going according to plan as she drove through the trees. Every so often she swore she saw something moving.

She had guesses of what or who it would be and as long as she hadn't seen red she assumed that she would be fine.

Her fingers tapped against the steering wheel as she perfected her list of questions. For the girl and/or her undead boyfriend and his foster family. Whichever was the easiest to talk to at the moment?