²⁹ Goodall

"
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make
"
- Jane Goodall

"What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make"- Jane Goodall

Confessions of a Teenage Wolfman

Harper didn't know exactly where she was, she just seemed entranced by the person before her. She didn't know how they ended up so close but it seemed to be a common theme, being dragged into his orbit. Embry's warm fingertips lightly grazed the shell of her ear as he pushed a lock of hair out of her face. Harper sucked in a breath at the feeling, his fingertips were calloused and his touch was soft. The hot hand stayed there, cradling her face and jaw, locking their eyes together. She couldn't look away. She didn't want to. The deep brown eyes held such an intensity that Harper couldn't stop the heat rising to her cheeks and the breath staying locked in her throat. She was just grateful her tawny skin tone didn't allow for it to be seen. She felt hot, and feverish like she was burning up. Embry had an inkling of the effect he had on her from how her heart raced, pounding in his ears as he felt his heart match pace with hers, and he just couldn't stop the smile that overtook his face and made the corner of his eyes crinkle as he stared at her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked abruptly her voice soft. Her eyes which had previously been so wide due to shock and anticipation had narrowed into her usual analytical gaze, but it was tainted with suspicion and guarded. Though, he noticed that her voice was breathy. He liked the sound.

Embry shook his head slightly, and the hair that fell into his forehead moved with it as he let out a small laugh, more of a disbelieving chuckle that he had ended up in this position. "Like what?" He questioned back with a small crooked smile despite knowing exactly what she was talking about. He was looking at her like a lovesick fool. For some reason, he was glad she was analyzing him. He wouldn't have it any other way. He liked her eyes on him. Sometimes he even wished that they would only ever remain on him the way that his eyes continuously remained on her.

Harper rolled her eyes before finding herself inadvertently locked back into his stare. Back into his orbit. She tried to turn away, embarrassed and bashful but Embry's hand, which had never left the spot holding the side of her face, kept her in place as the other hand came up so he could cradle her head. It was gentle, he held her like she was fragile and he looked at her as if she was precious. His thumb barely brushed against her bottom lip. Harper couldn't help the sharp intake of breath. There were butterflies in her stomach, a whole swarm of them were rioting, hooting, and hollering. She could hear them scream at her to do something but she felt all locked up. Muscles tense. She couldn't sort out her feelings. Sometimes Embry felt overwhelming to Harper, and sometimes it felt good to realize that she wanted him and he wanted her too. Because friends do not look at each other the way that they were at that moment.

It was like the girl had stopped functioning completely as Embry moved his head closer before his nose touched hers and he shifted his starved gaze from her lips to her eyes. Harper watched with bated breath, unable to move and unable to function. She looked shocked and it was almost enough to make Embry move away. He couldn't, he felt grounded there as if moving in any way would cause her to separate from him and he was desperate for attention and affection from her.