⁸ Nye

"
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
"

-Bill Nye the Science Guy

Interrogations & Gambling

Jacob and Quil, contrary to popular (Embry's) belief, were both very receptive. They noticed a lot, especially Quil who sat in front of Embry in biology and had noticed him leaning in quite close to look at the girl's notes. The girl Embry had called a steamroller, a smartass, and perhaps worst of all an unbearable hag to the boys in private. He had made it known of his distaste of her and her big mouth and smug holier than thou attitude. But on Wednesday morning he seemed to sidle up pretty close to her. His eyes followed her even when they weren't close. Every time Mr. Hunt made a joke Embry's eyes went straight to her before he laughed.

In short, Embry was so pathetically crushing on this girl. Or so they think.

The two made it their mission for that lunch period to confront Embry at his obvious crush. The one they had made fun of earlier, but it was only so funny because he all but hated her guts.

Except they never did, because the darnest thing had happened. On that Wednesday afternoon, Harper Young sat at their table with Sage on one side and Embry on the other. Even Sage looked annoyed by how cozy the two looked. 

Quil and Jake shared a glance. "What in the hell?" Quil murmured out before they walked side by side to the table. 

"Hey, guys," Jake greeted cautiously. His eyes going straight to Sage who had mouthed, 'No fucking clue.'

Harper and Embry brought their heads up and mumbled out their own greetings before going back to their mumbling. Sage looked crossly at the boy and her friend for a second before sharing confused glances with Quil and Jake. Harper hurriedly checked her watch and cursed.

"Shit, I forgot my math homework, I'm going to head to the library, see you guys later," Harper called to the group in a rush as she juggled a mountain of books.

As soon as the trio made sure that she was out the door they turned to Embry in sync. The poor boy was too enraptured in his chicken nuggets to notice. That was until Sage shoved him so hard he almost fell off his seat. 

"Okay, that was intentional, what the hell?" Embry spat, turning directly to Sage who looked at him coolly as she inspected her short nails.

"Oh," Sage started passively, "just that you're totally crushing on Harper."

Embry looked at Sage blankly for a second. Jake and Quil watched with anticipation at his reaction. His stony face changed when his eyebrow furled and his lips parted slightly. They could see him mouth the word 'crushing' several times. His brain was working so hard. And then as realization dawned on him his jaw had completely dropped and his eyes went crazily wide.