¹⁸ Sagan

"
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
"

- Carl Sagan

New Normal

Harper reverted. That was the best way to put what happened in the weeks following Sage's disappearance. She buried herself in schoolwork and her eulogy was written by her weird English teacher who could smell when someone was about to have a mental breakdown.

Quil and Jake walked around on eggshells around the girl in school. She didn't know why. She was fine. Completely and perfectly fine. Sage would come back. Everything would go back.

But for now, Harper would spend her time in class or the library or her room or Moonstruck. She didn't see a lot of the Fork's kids, which sucked, but she had to prioritize things. Mina's notes stopped. They were becoming less inspirational and more nerve-wracking so it was for the best. She was terrifying anyway. The trips into the woods stopped as her finals came and went. She didn't bother going back in. It was too cold. And she was busy.

This was obvious enough when during her biology class she quite literally fell asleep. Falling face forward onto the table and causing quite the disgusting bloody nose. It really wouldn't have happened if Mr. Hunt hadn't swiped her arm out from where it was holding her head up. She really can't take all the blame.

Of course, that didn't stop that little whiny bitch boy Embry Call from freaking out.

Harper raised her head after letting out a series of curses that would've made her stepmom blush. The blood gushed down her nose like a fucking waterfall and stained her sweater. Her hands cupped her nose and she couldn't smell or taste anything except for iron. She couldn't help but gag. 

Embry's reaction was a bit more volatile. He stood up abruptly but gently pushed her forward to get out of her seat and into the hall so she could see the shoddy school nurse. "I'm just gonna-yeah, she's- this is a ridiculous amount of blood haha I hate this," Embry rambled out as he left while swiping an entire box of tissues.

Harper scowled at him as he stumbled over her words while pinching her nose and tilting her head forward. "Yeah, if you could hand me those that'd be great, thanks," she muttered sarcastically. The nasal tone was evident as she tried to stifle the blood. The girl eyed the boy who's cheeks barely glowed pink.

"Oh, yeah. Of course," he stuttered out as he gripped several tissues and pushed them into her awaiting hand. He rubbed his neck as he looked over at the exhausted girl. "I think you should-"

"It's forward," she mumbled. "If it's backward then I'll swallow the blood," she explained at his stupid wide-eyed look.

Embry nodded as he rubbed his neck, looking at his with nothing but concern in his eyes. He'd been doing that a lot lately. Giving her nothing but those stupid stary eyed looks and all worried, like it was any of his business. And every other second he was asking-