Chapter 13

Isamu: Upper... 3?

Tanjiro: (This scent... He's the closest related to Kibutsuji so far. No other demon comes close.)

Without saying a word, the demon launched himself past Rengoku and aimed for Tanjiro's head, ready to ram his fist through.

Rengoku: (Flame breathing 2nd form: Rising scorching sun!)

He drew his sword up and through the demon's arm. His arm split apart as the demon flipped backward and stood up. His split arm regenerated as the blood went back into his arm.

???: That's a fine sword.

Rengoku: (He sure can regenerate fast. This heavy and strong demon Aura... So, this is an upper rank.) Tell me, why would you go for a wounded person instead of me?

???: I thought he would get in the way of our chit-chat.

Rengoku: And what do we have to talk about. Let me make this clear. While this is my first time meeting you, I don't like you.

???: Is that so? Well, I loathe weak humans. The mere sight of them makes my skin crawl.

Rengoku: Then it seems our moral values are very different. I doubt we'll ever get along.

???: Be that as it may, let me make you an offer. Why don't you become a demon, too?

Rengoku: No thanks.

???: I can see your level of strength just by looking at you. You're a hashira, aren't you? 

Rengoku: I am the Flame hashira. Kyojuro Rengoku.

???: I am Akaza. Your fighting spirit has been honed to the hilt. Close to the realm of the highest. Although, there is one thing that's bothering me. That boy wearing the eyepatch.

Rengoku: What about him?

Akaza: Your power is honed. But his is a different case. One second it's normal but then it suddenly spikes. If he can't have full control of his power, then it just proves my point. Kyojuro... Let me tell you why you can't enter the highest realm. It's because you're human. Due to growing old. Due to your inevitable death. In fact, why don't the both of you become demons? Well, Kyojuro?

Rengoku: Growing old, then passing away are what make human life beautiful. That life limit makes us appreciate life. "Strength" isn't a word just to describe the body or raw power. These boys aren't weak! Don't insult them. As I said, we have different moral values. No matter the reason, I will not become a demon!

Akaza: I see.

He sharpens his arm muscle and digs his foot into the ground. The symbol of a giant snowflake appears beneath him as he takes his stance.

 The symbol of a giant snowflake appears beneath him as he takes his stance