Chapter 23

The sky was black and filled with smoke. The entertainment district was nothing but a wasteland with burned and crippled buildings. Nothing but silence. 

BEFORE

Gyutaro and Daki's heads flew off their shoulders and flew through the air before rolling on the ground and landing in front of each other

Gyutaro and Daki's heads flew off their shoulders and flew through the air before rolling on the ground and landing in front of each other. They said nothing as their mouths gaped open.

Uzui breathed heavily as he left his remaining sword in Gyutaro's chest, thinking that they won. But that was when he saw it. Near Gyutaro's neck, blood started swirling around.

Uzui: Oh no! Kamado! Takahashi!

Tanjiro: (What...? Uzui is... Saying something.)

Uzui: You two, get up! It's not over yet!

Tanjiro: (He's screaming something. Does this mean... We failed to cut off the demon's head?)

Uzui: You two gotta run!

The blood in Gyutaro's body kept building up before his entire exploded as blood flew everywhere. It launched debris in the air as the blood kept expanding. Among the rubble, Nezuko's box was thrown and her door opened. She flew out and opened her palm as pink flames began to consume the blood slashes and quickly spread to make a swirling pink flame tornado.

PRESENT TIME

Tanjiro was laying down on the ground. He felt taps on his shoulder and managed to open his eyes to see Nezuko back in her child form.

Tanjiro: Nezuko...

He sits up to see an awful sight. The outskirts of the entertainment district were destroyed. Buildings were demolished, foundations burned to a crisp, and trails of smoke and steam floated into the air.

Tanjiro: How awful. I hope that everyone managed to make it out okay.

Nezuko rubbed her head along Tanjiro's as he patted her.

Tanjiro: Was it you who saved me? Thank you.

Nezuko: Hmm!

Zenitsu: Tanjiro! Tanjiro!

Tanjiro: Zenitsu! I have to help- Gaaah.

He tried to stand, but his legs just wouldn't work. After seeing him struggle, Nezuko put Tanjiro on her shoulders as they went to Zenitsu who was laying under some rubble.

Zenitsu: Oooowww! I woke up and my body hurts all over! Both of my legs feel broken, what happened!

Tanjiro: Zenitsu, you're alright!

Zenitsu: I'm anything but alright! I deserve pity too, but Inosuke's in even worse shape!

Tanjiro: Inosuke? Where is he?

Zenitsu: He's right over there!

He points to a fallen building with a pair of legs hanging over the side. He goes over and sees that Inosuke's chest has mostly turned purple and the blood barely stopped flowing out.