Chapter Sixteen: Valentine's Day

“Hey Will,” Celeste smiled. “Heading out already?”

“As soon as I’m done with this paperwork,” I said aimlessly signing my names on various documents. I couldn’t wait to get out of this place. It was like Valentine’s Day had made people insane. If I get another patient who got hurt trying something “new” for their partner, I would go insane. I had to escape quickly before more insanity was gurneyed through the ER doors. My shift was over an hour ago.

“Have any special plans for this evening?” she winked deviously. “How are you and Emilio bringing in this holiday? Let me guess Emilio is dressing up as cupid?”

“No! No and no,” I muttered quickly. “We are doing nothing. I actually haven’t heard from him all day.”

“Oh, he must have something really big planned,” Celeste said all wide eyed. “I hope you got him something good.”

“Got him something? I was supposed to get him something?” I said in confusion. “We’ve barely been dating for two months. What am I supposed to get him?”

“It’s Valentine’s Day,” she emphasized. “I don’t know flowers, chocolate, an edible arrangement?”

“Fuck,” I mumbled. “Fuck. I need to go. Do you think Wal-Mart is open?”

“Wal-Mart!?” she said as if that was the most ridiculous thing she had ever heard.

“I’m kidding,” I replied trying to laugh it off.

“No, you weren’t,” Celeste said shaking her head. “All I have to say is good luck.”

“Thanks,” I said as I signed the last of my papers. I shoved them into the respective folders and handed them to the nurse, as I headed out. I sighed with relief as soon as I made it to the parking garage. I was free at last – that is to get Emilio something quickly. I can’t believe I forgot to get him something. It really had slipped my mind. I had been so busy.

I had gone to two stores and they all had run out of Valentines’ Day cards, candy, bears, etc. What the fuck would I get this guy? That was when I drove by a sex toy shop. I silently debated whether or not I should step inside. I did and I regretted it. I glanced around at all the shit they had and some of it was a little too much for my taste. I was about to walk out the store when a sales associate – more like a sex associate stopped me.

“Can I help you sir?” she asked curiously.

“Uh I – Um,” I began.

“Last minute Valentine’s Day?” she said hitting it right on the nose. I nodded as she led me to their most popular gifts section.

“This is our most popular item,” She said pointing to a basket. “It’s called the Fifty Shades of Grey package.”

“I see,” I replied awkwardly glancing at the array of things. “No thanks! I’m not interested and neither would my boyfriend.”

“Boyfriend? Ok,” she said instantly lighting up. “We have a plethora of anal rings, flavored lube, condoms, beads, dildos, underwear, etc.”

“Thanks,” I said cutting her off. Jeez – I think I know what they sell at a sex store. I rolled my eyes as I picked up generic items. The sales associate took the hint and left finally. I needed some privacy. I couldn’t have her hovering over me as I shopped. I ended up buying Emilio a fluffy thong as a joke, flavored condoms, flavored lube, and a very large disco stick to play with. I chuckled as I left the store. They had even wrapped all the gifts up for me. That saved me some time.

I glanced at my watch when I made it to my house. It was already going on seven o’clock. Emilio’s car was in my driveway. I narrowed my eyes as I locked my car and headed to the front door. I didn’t know what to expect.