Chapter Twenty-Three: Relationships Are Hard Work

“Will,” Dylan said waving his hand in my face. “You dazed off.”

“What?” I said snapping out of my state of delirium. “Sorry I was just thinking about something.”

“Was this something or a certain someone? Is it Emilio?” Dylan asked curiously. I nodded in agreement.

“Yeah actually,” I replied. “You know yesterday he told me to just break up with him and just get it over with. He thinks that I want to break with him.”

“Well, I mean, you were considering it,” Dylan said. “So, what did you say?”

“I asked him if that’s what he wanted,” I admitted. “He asked me if that’s what I wanted – I didn’t answer and he walked out of the dinner. We haven’t talked since.”

“Ouch,” Dylan sighed. “So you’re back to not talking. Will, why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because I – I didn’t know what to say,” I sighed as I stared up into the sky. “I froze. Do you think I’m in the wrong, Dylan? Do you think I flipped over nothing?”

“I don’t know,” Dylan shrugged.

“You’re a great help,” I scoffed. “I don’t know either. I just thought you know if he’s flirting with other guys already then next time he’ll be screwing them. Maybe I jumped the gun too soon.”

“Perhaps,” he replied. “But then again let’s not ignore the fact that he used to be a serial player.”

“Yeah but he’s changed, Dylan,” I replied. “He’s not the same guy he was when we met.”

“I guess you have your answer then,” Dylan nodded.

“God, relationships are so hard,” I said running my fingers through my hair.

“I know,” Dylan replied. “That’s why I’m single.”

“Ha,” I chuckled. “Well, I’m going home. Hopefully, Emilio hasn’t packed up and left yet.”

“I wouldn’t joke about that,” he laughed. “I’ll see you later. Keep me posted on your relationship status.”

“It’s complicated right now,” I called out. “I’ll have to update my FB.”

“Yeah,” Dylan said as I hopped into my car and headed home. I got home and saw Emilio’s car in the driveway. I glanced at my watch. It was eleven o’clock at night. I wonder if he was asleep. I slammed my door shut as I walked into my place. Dali rushed to greet me, licking my hands. I kissed him on the face as I moved upstairs towards my bedroom.

I swallowed hard as I saw my room in shambles. Clothes were spread all over the floor and a suitcase lied open on the bed. Emilio was shoving things inside of it, wiping his face every so often.

“Emilio,” I said in confusion. “What’s going on?”

He mumbled some words in Catalan underneath his breath as he completely ignored me. I walked closer to him and touched his shoulder. He glanced up at me immediately, tears in his eyes.

“Emilio? What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I have to go,” Emilio said mysteriously. “I can’t – I can’t.”

“Emilio, you’re not making any sense,” I said.

“I have to go! Ok!” he said raising his voice at me.

“Where are you going at eleven o’ clock at night? Huh? Emilio?” I asked him. “If this is about yesterday Emilio, I don’t want you to leave.”