Chapter Twenty-Seven: To Barcelona

“I have to go with my mother to the doctor, but I’ll be back in like an hour,” Emilio said shoving his keys into his pocket. “I’ll call you and meet up with you after. Make sure you answer your phone, ok?”

“Emilio, I’m not a child,” I huffed.

“I know but this isn’t America, Will,” Emilio sighed. “You don’t know your way around.”

“I’ll be with him the whole time, Emilio,” Romero said appearing in the doorway. “I promise you I won’t leave him alone. I have the whole day planned out for the two of us.”

“Ho juro per Déu, Romero. Si alguna cosa li passa a Will, et tallaré els testicles fora i donar-los menjar a vostè. No buisness divertit ja sigui perquè sé el que ets,” Emilio replied.

“Sheesh,” Romero chuckled. “So violent sometimes.”

“I love you,” Emilio said kissing me on the lips. “See ya.”

Emilio left without another word. I hated when he switched up the language on me. Sometimes I wish I knew Catalan, so I could understand what he was saying.

“What did he just say to you?” I asked curiously.

“Nothing much, he just threatened to cut my balls off if anything should happen to you,” Romero said casually. “But anyways – are you ready for our date?”

“Date?” I chuckled. “You’re cute, Romero. Emilio would kill you, if he heard you say that.”

“Guess what? Emilio’s not here,” Romero retorted. “So I am free to say what I want.”

“Ok Romero,” I nodded. “Where are we going first for our ‘date’?”

“We are going to take the ferry to Barcelona,” Romero replied.

“Barcelona?” I reiterated. “Seriously? Emilio is going to kill me if I leave Ibiza.”

“Do you listen to everything Emilio tells you to do?” Romero asked. “Ibiza alright but if you want the full experience you have to go Barcelona. We don’t have to go if you don’t want to. We can stay in Ibiza and be controlled by Emilio.”

“Let’s go to Barcelona,” I grinned. “Emilio can catch us later.”

“That’s what I thought,” Romero shouted. “We are going to have a ton of fun.”

So, instead of Ibiza, Romero and I went to Barcelona. One ferry ride and an hour later, we were in Barcelona. The city was beautiful. I had only ever been to Canada beside the United States, so I didn’t have much to compare it too but it was amazing.

The first place Romero took me was to the Picasso Museum. I wasn’t much of an art expert but Romero said it was a hot place for tourists. He and I strolled around the museum acting as if we were the greatest art critics in the world.

“This piece says so much by saying so little,” Romero nodded.

“I like his use of negative space,” I retorted, tilting my head casually to the side.

After our terrible art critiques, Romero took me to the aquarium, then the zoo and then out to eat. It was perhaps the most fun that I had actually had in a while. Emilio and I never did things like this. Hell, Emilio and I barely went on dates thanks to my crazy doctor schedule. I kind of wish he had been here. It was strange that he hadn’t called by now.

 “Strange Emilio hasn’t called,” I replied.

“Oh he called I just didn’t pick up,” Romero said casually. “A few times actually.”