Chapter Twenty-Two: Dinner For Two

ENJOY! VOTE, COMMENT! <3 I HAVE A FEELING A LOT OF YOU ARE GOING TO HATE ME AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER. LOL

------------------

“Nurse, where is the patient file for room 2?” I asked in irritation. This thing I had going on with Emilio was dragging down my mood. 

“I’m sorry, Dr. Klein,” she chuckled a little. “I was talking to the woman in room six and I – “

“I don’t care,” I interrupted her. “Just give me the file.”

She closed her mouth quickly, holding the file out. I snatched it from her hand and stormed away. I was completely baffled by the fucking incompetence today. How hard was it to put a file back? Jeez, it was like I had to do everything around here.

I moseyed on back into Room 2 and plopped down into the swivel chair. My patient stared at me, as I flipped through her chart. She was wearing a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. Her hair was fashioned in a ponytail and she had wrinkles on her face that were definitely aging her by ten years more than she actually was. I had a feeling she was a mother. A mother who has been through a lot of stress. 

“Sorry for the wait," I said. 

“No problem,” she replied staring around the room. 

As soon as I was done looking at the chart, I glanced up at her.

“So Mrs. R – What brought you to the Emergency Department today?” I asked routinely. 

“There’s a fishbone stuck in my throat,” she sighed. “My husband and I went out to a fancy restaurant for my birthday and I got a fish bone caught in my throat. I can feel it every time I swallow."

“Oh,” I nodded. “Well at least you had a nice dinner."

“It wasn’t nice at all,” she replied. “My horn dog of a husband was looking at every piece of ass that walked in.”

“Sounds like someone I know,” I said writing her complaint into her file. “How far would you say down your throat is the bone?”

“About here,” she said pointing on to her neck. I jotted it down as I closed the file shut.

“Well, ENT will be here momentarily to do an x-ray and to determine how to remove the bone,” I replied. “Sit tight.”

“Thanks doctor,” she nodded.

“My pleasure,” I said walking out of the room. I sighed as I moved past the nurse’s station. All of the nurses immediately fell silent, going back to work at my presence. Word spreads awfully fast here. Gossipy nurses!

Just as I moved towards my office, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Celeste.

“Hello Dr. Klein,” she grinned. “Is there anything I can do for you?”

“I’m not in the mood, Celeste,” I warned.

“I’m just kidding around, Will,” she teased. “Lighten up. Do you want to do lunch? If you stay here, all the nurses will be talking about you.”

“Well, the nurses need to stop gossiping and do their damn job,” I said aloud. I'm sure the nurses heard that. 

“Yeah lets’ go to lunch,” Celeste replied, pulling me down towards the cafeteria. “What’s up with you today?”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I sighed. I shoved fries onto my plate, sat down at the table staring out the window. When I was stressed, I ate terribly. All I kept thinking about was Emilio. I could not tell Celeste that I was mad at Emilio because if I told her that I was mad because he was flirting with Trent she might get upset at him. I didn’t want to be the cause of their friendship ending.