20 | birds of a feather

Zolina 'Zo' Smith
[ tues, nov 29th 1:08 PM ]
Town Square Apartments

"If you never play me, promise not to bluff, I'll hold you down when shit gets rough

"If you never play me, promise not to bluff, I'll hold you down when shit gets rough. 'Cause baby, I know you're worth it."

Zolina sang out to 'A Woman's Worth' by Alicia Keys, as she stood up to rinse the blood red paint from her brushes and hands.

Her easel had officially given up on her, so she resorted to painting on the floor cross-legged until it could be replaced.

Much to her dismay, she hadn't seen Ace since the morning after Thanksgiving— four days ago.

As much as she tried to fight it off, the lack of his presence brought forth her issues with separation anxiety.

Apart of her thought that it was ridiculous, but she couldn't help how her brain was wired. The lack of stability in her childhood, caused her to get easily attached to anyone that became consistent in her life.

It happened with the twins, it unfortunately happened with Craig, and now; it had happened with Ace.

As the days went on, it was getting harder for her to not jump to conclusions.

Zolina ended up working through the entire weekend at the café without him visiting her once. And not that she was entitled to them, but he didn't offer her any rides either.

They barely texted one another, and their FaceTime and phone conversations stopped altogether.

Ace mentioned that he was busy with business and preparing for the opening of his new club— which wasn't far fetched. But she knew that if Ace really wanted to see her, he would make the time. He would usually fuss when they were apart for too long.

The thought of somehow offending his family plagued her mind; that maybe her presence was an added catalyst to what transpired with Garrett that night.

But with Ace's younger sister, Gwendolyn, texting her everyday since, she was able to put those negative thoughts to rest.

Zolina's phone buzzed inside of her paint flecked overalls. She went into the text thread that was already opened, rereading the dry conversation until she got to the new message at the bottom.

| saturday - nov 26 |

(5:48 PM):
hey, you okay?

(6:32 PM) Ace🙈💌:
im straight
kicking it with nyx

You loved 'kicking it with nyx'

• • •

| sunday, nov 27 |