39 | the talk

Zolina 'Zo' Smith
[ mon, mar 13th 8:19 PM ]
Town Square Apartments

Dropping the scissors into the sink, Zolina dusted off her shoulders

Dropping the scissors into the sink, Zolina dusted off her shoulders. The locks of dead hair fell to the bathroom floor as she peered into the mirror, still not feeling an ounce better about herself.

She couldn't figure out what it was about her appearance that was bothering her. It could have been the new markings on her shoulder that mimicked the shape of the 9mm bullet she was shot with.

Or the surgery incision scar on her side, from where the doctors cut her open to remove the other one.

Maybe it was just the fact that she didn't recognize the woman looking back at her, even after cutting off the 'coma curls.' What had happened to her still felt surreal, and it seemed as though the affects of it were starting to hit.

It was the first time that she really got a chance to be in her thoughts. Up until that point, Zolina never had time alone. Her best friends had been hovering over her since she returned home two days ago.

Ace was being surprisingly patient; waiting his turn and staying in touch with FaceTime calls and texts. But Zolina's patience was running thin.

Halfway through their 'Bring It On' binge, she told the ladies— in the politest way possible, that it was time to get out of her apartment. They pouted and teased, but ultimately understood.

Though it had been nearly a month for the girls, to Zolina, no time had been lost between them. But with Ace, there was a huge gap.

And everyone was anticipating how they would fill it.

"You good in there?" The voice in her living room called out.

Zolina threw on another oversized sweater, before walking out of the bathroom to join Gwendolyn; the last one out of the women to leave.

Gwendolyn shimmied into her jacket and smiled at her, "Couldn't wait to cut that shit off, huh?"

"The length was kinda cute." Zolina half-smiled as she sat with her on the couch, tucking her legs underneath her. "But no way I'm doing more work than I need to."

Solange appeared on her TV screen, breaking out into the 'Shabooya (Roll Call)' in a school cafeteria.

"Can I ask you something, Gwen?"

"Of course." Gwendolyn locked her phone and gave Zolina her full attention.

"Um. How was he?" Zolina stared down at her hands. "While I was... You know."

For the last week, bits and pieces of memories were floating around in her mind. She could remember some of the things that Ace had said; at the scene of the accident and also while she was in the coma.

Some of those things warmed her heart, but the majority of them worried her.

Zolina watched as his sister took her locs down from their high bun, before tilting her head back and staring up at the ceiling.