25 | the gift

Grayson 'Ace' Valentine III
[ sun, dec 25th, 🎄 2:17 PM ]
Vertex Condos

For Christmas morning, everyone spent time with their families, while Ace lounged around his condo alone

He had done his best to get into the festive spirit, but the most he could manage was a quick gift exchange with his mother and siblings the day before. The dynamic with his family made him feel like he was a parent with split custody.

The one good thing about the holidays this year, was having more company than just Phoenyx and Lucas around his table for Christmas dinner. Demetrius was finally out of jail, he befriended some cool twins.

And of course, now there was Zolina.

- - -

Flashback
[ thurs, dec 8th ...17 days ago ]
Vertex Condos

Ace sat on his couch with a RAW tray in his lap as he rolled a blunt. Zolina was a few feet away from him, hanging ornaments on the 12ft Christmas tree set up in the corner— the tree that she somehow convinced him to buy.

He heard her groan in frustration and looked over to see her slowly losing her patience with a tangled ball of string lights.

She dropped them to her feet and put her hands on her hips. The harder she frowned at Ace, the bigger his smile got.

His eyes trailed over her outfit— or lack thereof. A baby pink, lace bra, and a pair of his basketball shorts that were rolled up at the waist. The curls on her head still damp from their shower.

"Fix yo' fuckin' face." He licked his lips. "Lookin' like a sexy angry bird, or sum'n."

She pouted some more, "You're really not gonna help me over here?"

"Hell nah." He shook his head. "You ain't have to do all this to the spot, Lil' Baby. Shit gon' come down in a couple weeks anyway."

"Whatever." She sucked her teeth, turning away from him. "You know you like the holiday vibes in here."

Ace stayed quiet, because she was right. He hadn't done any decorating since being on his own, and here came Zolina; making his condo look like an elf threw up in it.

The change in his surroundings made him feel good.

Tinsel garlands were wrapped around the stair railings, while small poinsettias sat on the counter tops and coffee table. An evergreen wreath scattered with pine cones and vibrant, red holly berries hung on the wall in his entryway. Christmas lights bordered his large windows.

Even the air around them was warm and sweet from all of the cookies she wouldn't stop baking.

"Least your tall ass can do is put the star up on this big ass tree." Zolina continued on with her grumbling rant.