22 | chaos

Omniscient
[ fri, dec 2nd 7:16 PM ]
Town Square Apartments

Ace stood in the middle of Zolina's apartment with 50 long-stemmed, white roses

Ace stood in the middle of Zolina's apartment with 50 long-stemmed, white roses. He wrapped an arm around her, shoving his head into the crook of her neck as she hugged him back tightly.

I missed you, the both of them thought, but refused to say out loud.

"You look so beautiful, Z." He gazed at her.

Her hair was straight and slicked down with a side part. She wore a loose fitted, gold dress, with details down her back that criss-crossed and tied around her neck.

She blushed, "Thank you, handsome."

Zolina couldn't help but admire Ace in his black, silk shirt and dress pants. A few buttons were undone, exposing some tattoos and gold chains sitting on his chest.

"You didn't have to get these for me." She pouted down at the flowers. "They're gorgeous."

"Of course I did." He smiled warmly. "It's yo' big night, 'Casso."

She took hold of the large bouquet and carefully placed it on her kitchen counter, making a mental note to put them in water later.

"You ready to go?" Zolina moved towards the door, but Ace grabbed her hand.

"Hol' up." He sighed heavily. "Can we talk for a min'?"

There was definitely an elephant in the room that he wanted to get rid of.

At the club, not only did Ace not apologize like he planned on doing, but he had unknowingly repeated Craig's hurtful words:

'I can't always be where you want.'

It unfortunately took Zolina a few steps back mentally; back to feeling clingy and embarrassed.

All over a man that wasn't even hers.

And Ace, just felt stupid. He was in no way trying to hurt her— at the club, or by distancing himself, but he knew that he did.

"Listen, Z. I know I ain't been the best—" He paused, nearly forgetting exactly what he was to her.

"—Best friend to you, lately. Other than my moms and Gwen, I ain't really used to a relationship with a woman..." He gestured between them. "Like this."

"It's okay." Zolina looked down.

Ace lifted her chin with his index finger, "Nah. It's not okay. I just— It's always just been me and my niggas, you know? I ain't never had to explain myself to nobody—"

Zolina interrupted him, "I don't want you to feel like you have to explain yourself to me, Ace."

Getting frustrated with her invalidating her own emotions, Ace pulled her closer to him with a bit of force.