Chapter 2: Sinon's Trauma

A 12-year-old Shino Asada was waiting inside of a post office with her mother, who was waiting in line to have a package shipped off.  The two were standing in line and there were two people in front of them.  Shino looked up at her mother, who had the same damaged look that she usually had on her face but it did look better to her, in comparison to before she stayed at her grandparent's home for 3 years. 

3 Years ago, Shino, her mother and her father were all involved in a terrible car crash on the way to their family vacation home.  Shino and her mother both survived the crash but, unfortunately, her father died.  Shino and her mother were terribly affected by his loss, especially Shino's mother, who fell into a deep depression, as a result.  It didn't take long for Shino's mother to become bedridden and unable to take care of her daughter so Shino's grandparents stepped in and took care of her until her mother got back on her feet.  Life with her grandparents was nice but Shino couldn't stop worrying about how her mother was doing the entire time she was with them.  She decided that during her time with her grandparents, she would force herself to become stronger so she could protect and take care of her mother.  With her grandparents' help, she learned how to cook, do yard work and take care of all sorts of things to help with this goal.  By the time she turned 12, her mother was at a slightly better place and was, apparently, ready to resume taking care of her daughter.  After moving in with her mother, it was clear to Shino that her mother was still struggling, mentally, but could see improvement.  There were days that her mother did a good job taking care of her but there were also, days where the opposite was true...where Shino had to take care of her.  But she didn't mind.  She was old enough to properly take care of her mother, now, so Shino kept this from her grandparents because as much as she loved them, she knew her mother needed her more. 

Shino noticed that her mother's hand was shaking, violently, while standing in line. 

It's the anxiety acting up, again, Shino thought to herself, sadly.  There are a lot of people waiting in line, today, and I know mom hates being around too many people these days.  At least, she's leaving the house, though.  I'm proud of her for that. 

Shino took her mother's hand and the shaking stopped. 

"T-Thanks, honey," said her mother, embarrassed.  "I-I'm okay.  Just getting a little restless is all."

There was, now, only one person in front of them at the post office. 

"Do you think grandma will get the package in time for her birthday?" asked Shino, trying to take her mother's mind off of her own anxiety. 

"Y-Yeah, we're shipping it out early enough so s-she should get it in time.  Hopefully, she likes the gift we got her.  I-I'm not too good at picking out gifts, unfortunately."

"Mom, you don't have to be so scared," assured Shino, noticing how shaky her mother's voice had gotten.  "As long as we're together, you'll be safe because I'll protect you."

"Ha...t-that should be my job...protecting you," Shino's mother responded, feeling bad that her own daughter was stronger than she was.  "I-I'm sorry, Shino.  I wish, more than anything, that I was a stronger mother.  It's what you deserve.  You shouldn't...be burdened with having to be strong enough for the both of us."

"I don't mind.  Besides, you've been making a lot of progress, lately," convinced Shino.  "I'm really proud of you.  I know that, one day, you'll be back to your usual self."

"Excuse me," interrupted the postwoman standing behind the desk.

Shino and her mother were up next and they both walked up to the counter.  Shino heard a ringing sound in the background, indicating that someone else had just walked into the post office but she didn't pay it any mind.  She was too focused on making sure that her mother was doing alright, talking to the postwoman. Her voice was still shaky but, at least, she was able to hold a conversation.  Her mother really had come a long way in terms of her anxiety.  It gave Shino genuine hope...hope that one day things really would go back to the way they were before...before her father died.