Chapter 30: Family

"You've been doing a lot of training, lately, mommy," commented Yui as she watched Asuna prepare dinner in their cabin in Aincrad Online.  "Daddy told me that you log into that gun game every day to get stronger.  I'm really proud of you."

"Hahaha, thanks, Yui," responded Asuna, sincerely.  "Although, I bet your daddy didn't tell you about the fact he's been doing the same exact thing.  He's been training just as hard as me...if not more, for the third round of the Bullet of Bullets tournament that's coming up."

"I think that both of you are going to do really well, especially if you and daddy work, together," predicted Yui, optimistically.  "When you two fight, together, no one can stop you!"

It was Asuna's idea, with this being the last night before the third round of the Bullet of Bullets, to prepare a large feast for her, Kirito, Yui and Shino.  She knew that it would require a lot of effort on her part but this didn't bother Asuna in the slightest.  In fact, it made her happy that she could cook for all of her friends and thought that it would take everyone's mind off of the pressure they would face, tomorrow, in the third round of the Bullet of Bullets. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that both Death Gun and POH would show up to cause trouble during it and, on top of that, it was, most likely, their last chance to stop them from causing any more trouble in the VR setting. Hopefully, for good, this time, in POH's case.  It wouldn't be easy and there was no guarantee that her and her friends would make it out of the conflict in one piece and this did scare Asuna, to an extent.  She didn't want to lose anyone else...ever again.  Losing Yuki, Lisbeth and Klein were the hardest things that she had ever had to come to terms with in her life and, to this day, she still hadn't fully accepted that they were gone.  How could she?  It almost didn't feel real to her.  Although, if they were still alive, they wouldn't want Asuna to give up in their absence.  They would want her to stay strong and keep pushing forward so that's exactly what she was going to do.

"Daddy and Sinon are both eating with us, right?" asked Yui, excitedly.

"Yeah, your daddy should be here soon.  He had a couple of things to take care of before joining us.  Sinon had to finish some homework but should be here once she's finished."

"I'm really glad you made a friend, mommy," said Yui.  "Sinon seems really nice.  I feel bad for being so scared of her, at first.  I don't know why I was...it wasn't very nice of me.  I'm sorry."

"Oh, there's nothing to be sorry about at all," claimed Asuna.  "You were just nervous about meeting a new person is all.  Between you and me, I'm sure that Sinon was just as nervous about meeting you as well."

"Oh, really? That makes me feel a little better, I guess."

Cooking like this almost made Asuna feel like a house wife, in a weird way, despite her being in a VR setting.  It had always been a dream of hers to, one day, find herself cooking for the man that she loved and their child and the VR setting had made this wish come true.  As much as she hated the VR setting for the pain it had caused not just her but all of her friends, a part of her would forever be grateful to it.  The VR world was the only reason that she got to live this dream and if she had never been trapped in SAO, none of this would have been possible. 

"I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you and daddy," apologized Yui, sadly.  "Unfortunately, I can't cross over to GGO as my AI presence is locked to Aincrad Online. The only time I get to see you is here in this world...not GGO...or the real world.  I know it's selfish but I wish I could see you and daddy more."

"That's not selfish at all, Yui.  Kirito and I both want the same thing.  Nothing would make us happier than for you to be with us in the real world.  Do you want to hear a secret?"