Chapter 12: It's Your Fault

Again.  I...can't...believe it's happened, again. Damn it.  T-This can't be real.  It has to be another nightmare...just like I always have. Yeah, that has to be it.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  He can't really be gone.  I-I just need to wake up.  Come on.  Wake up.  Wake up.  Wake up.  Wake up.  Wake up!  Wake up!

"Kirito," Asuna whispered, sadly, snapping me back to the unfortunate reality that was directly in front of me.  "I-If this is too much for you, we can leave.  W-We don't have to stay."

"N-No, I'm fine," I assured her. 

I was hoping I would never have to wear this damn suit, again, considering the last time I had to wear it was when I attended Lisbeth's funeral.  Asuna seemed to be wearing a different dress this time but she had the same look of unbridled sadness on her face as she did when she had to attend her friend's funeral. As hard of a time as I was having coming to terms with what I was witnessing, I couldn't even imagine what she was going through.  She was probably...no, she was definitely blaming herself for this.  None of it was her fault...it was mine.  If I wasn't so busy fucking around with Vassago, I could have done something...besides, I was the one, who got Agil's message so I knew the potential danger Klein was in.  I-I just didn't take Death Gun's threat, seriously, and now, I was paying...no, we were all paying for it...every single person at Klein's funeral.  The service had just ended and people were already beginning to leave which included Klein's family but the one person, who had stayed behind, was a girl that seemed about the same age as Klein.  Despite not having met her before, I knew, instantly, that this must have been Klein's girlfriend, Kana. He had mentioned her so many times and claimed she wanted to have a double date with Asuna and I.  Unfortunately, she never got that chance...and will never get that chance.  Other than Asuna and I, Agil and his wife attended the funeral as well and they joined the crowd that was leaving.  Agil paused, told his wife something, and headed our way to speak with Asuna and I.

"Aren't you kids going home too?" he asked as Asuna and I looked at each other, depressed.  "I-I don't know if staying any longer will do the two of you any good.  I take it the two of you are blaming yourselves for this? Hell, I can't blame you.  I blame myself too.  I should've been there with you guys, instead of hanging back with Sinon.  If I was there, then...I could've saved Klein while you two were fighting."

"No, it was my choice to have you stay back," Asuna disagreed.  "If anything, it's my fault for underestimating Death Gun and POH. I...thought Kirito and I could handle them.  It was stupid.  As if I could have beaten either of them, being as weak as I am, right now.  Death Gun...kept vanishing...and...I couldn't hit him. It was so damn frustrating.  Then...I...had to watch as he shot Klein right in front me, not being able to do a damn thing about it.  I'm so worthless.  So damn worthless.  If I was stronger, then Klein would still be alive but...I wasn't.  I wasn't!"

As Asuna began to cry to herself, after her last statement, it made me realize just how much she had gone through.  Her being pinned down...unable to save Klein...it reminded me of when I was in a similar position, back when I was trying to rescue her from Sugou.  The powerlessness I felt when I couldn't save Lisbeth was no different than what Asuna went through.  I was going to comfort Asuna but Agil patted her head, lightly, before I could.  Agil seemed like he was going to try to talk her down but, before either of us could do anything, I felt something fierce strike my face, out of nowhere.

Smack!

The attack had left me stunned and speechless. I hadn't even heard the person make their way to me and the handprint on my cheek from the slap felt warm.  The only thing that hurt worse than the slap was the realization of who had been the one that slapped me.

"This is your fault," growled Kana, angrily.  "Y-You were Klein's friend.  All of you were.  The only reason he put that damn Nerve Gear back on his head was to hang out with all of you so the bare minimum you could have done was keep him safe.  B-But...you...didn't do that. You're supposed to be the Black Swordsman...the hero, who beat SAO...if anyone could have saved Klein, it was you. Yet, you let Klein die and, now, I'll never be able to see him, again. After finally getting him back again, I lost him in the blink of an eye!  All because of you three and that damn Nerve Gear!"